Thread: A youth fishing group from the Bay area is looking for a place to fish in Nor Cal.

Default A youth fishing group from the Bay area is looking for a place to fish in Nor Cal.

I just received this email and am trying to get suggestions for a place that they can go to for a multi-day camping trip with fishing.

"Hi Bill I saw your name / email on a discussion page about private ponds. I run a Fishing Camp for kids in the Bay Area (www.kortysfishcamp.com) and am looking for somewhere to take my kids on a camping trip that has great bank fishing in May / Sept. I am thinking of Lake Siskiyou and Lake Almanor but thought I might ask you if you knew of any secret spots or private landowners that might be open to letting me bring some kids ages 9-13 or so onto their land to fish a private pond? We would be happy to pay. This is my first year attempting overnight camping trips. Thanks for your time - Jonathan Korty

Jonathan Korty
    Musician/Producer/Fisherman-at-large
    Founder - Korty’s Fish Camp

415-302-8394

jonathankorty@gmail.com

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kids.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	354.9 KB 
ID:	19712
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I think Almanor and Siskiyou are good places to start. Also Trinity Lake is a good place. For a little more out of the way destination Kangaroo Lake, between Callahan and Gazelle, has good shore fishing. Some folks on the forum probably know the Gold Lakes Basin better than I do, but it may be a good possibility given the easy access.

Closer and more of a straight shot east from the bay area.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/10005253

Check with F&W for stocking schedules.

David

What is the timing for Alpine Lake?

I think it is near 8,000 feet.

I am thinking July/August.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

You got that right Bill, those would be the safest months for a fixed date group trip - August being the safest bet, along with early September. Spring through early July, it all depends on the snowpack - there's a road closure gate (snow) just west of the lake on hwy. 4 ( just beyond Bear Valley), that's unpredictable once you get into fall.

As far as the fishing goes, besides what C. D. F. & W. stocks, the county fish and game group has over the years, occasionally augmented the lake with the same Oregon raised Frankenfish that they stock into the E. Walker and W. Carson. So, the kids could have a shot at a goliath. There are other fishing venues both moving and stillwater in the greater area, and on the way up they could take a lunch break and stretch their legs at Calaveras Big Trees State Park.

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=551

https://www.google.com/maps/dir//38....,12z?entry=ttu

Following that map will lead them to three campgrounds near the lake.

There are lots of lakes you can ask fly fishers about, but the trick is, that most of them are being fished from a tube, toon or boat. Finding areas that give a banky, let alone of group of bankies a shot is a little tougher.
    Theres more fishing available in the area, but blue lining and discovery is part of the adventure.
    Last edited by Dave E.; 02-14-2024 at 12:57 PM.