Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB 4 or 5 Wt Switch

Default WTB 4 or 5 Wt Switch

Had a switch rod stolen during the Feather opener and am starting to rebuild it. I was throwing a commando head on it and loving it for soft hackles and small streamers on the Yuba and Feather.

I'm looking for a used switch rod around 11 ft, budget is around $400. I've been trying to find a Beulah or ACR on Spey Pages, saw that I missed an ACR here from November. Open to other options, I am in Sacramento.

Redington and Echo have some new Switch/Trout Spey two-handed fly rods in that $300 price range.

Redington:

https://farbank.com/collections/redington-dually-spey

Echo:

https://echoflyfishing.com/two-hand-rods/

*One thing I can tell for sure is a 12'6" #6 line Spey rod is far too powerful for Half-ponders

on the Valley Rivers, the Klamath River or the Rogue River.

I think a #4 line Switch or Trout Spey fly rod is perfect for Half-pounders that are usually 12 to 18 inches.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    I think a #4 line Switch or Trout Spey fly rod is perfect for Half-pounders that are usually 12 to 18 inches.
    I was really liking my 10'6" 5 wt rod with super short skagit head that was stolen. That thing launched light flies with small d-loops, lots of fun single spey casting my way through a run. Hoping to find a mid quality used rod to replace it.

I have one listed at the bottom of the page. Echo TR 11'3" 4wt

I have a Scott T2H 1085/4 rod that I have not used for about 10 years. I would sell for $350, shipped. Please let me know if you are interested.
    Thanks,
    Ted

JK,

I have a 11 foot 6 wt Temple fork rod It's called the r b Meser/mike Kenney swith rod....I am asking $100.00 bucks and you pay the shipping...been told it's worth a lot more then that.. Carl Blackledge
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 01-19-2024 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks for the offers. I'll do some research. I have a single hand Scott that I really like, surprisingly read bad reviews on the T2H. Any memories casting it from 10 years ago Ted? I assume it would be slow with deep flex? Any idea what weight lines it likes?

Carl, sounds like the TFO Deer Creek? Do you know what lines it likes? How's the swing weight? I have a buddy with a 10 ft TFO he uses for stillwater and it's super tip heavy and soft, that would be my concern because I may do some nymphing with it.

MT, sorry, but not interested in an Echo. I've owned, broken, and sold a few, just haven't had a great experience overall.

I bought the Scott rod with a Scandi and a Skagit head. Not sure what weights they are, but I think the Scandi was around 280 gr and the Skagit around 300 gr. I have not tried the rod with any other heads. I will include those heads with the rod.

Thanks,
    Ted

JK- the rod is the deer creek....I am not a 2 handed caster and don't have a clue what lines it likes...It said 300-400 on the rod..like I said I don't have any use for this rod. carlblackiedge@aol.com

All the two-handed TFO Spey/Switch rods are a bargain at retail prices so this is a super bargain for a cool size.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........