Thread: Safe Boater Card. California

Default Safe Boater Card. California

Has anyone here been asked to present this card to a Peace Officer during a contact while operating a vessel?

My son's friend is boating deputy on a Bay Area lake. He says if he pulls somebody over, he asks them and recommends the class, saying he had to take it too. He said it is common sense for anybody who has boated for a while. He only gives verbal "warnings" and has not ticketed anybody. YMMV.

I have not done the class. It feels like another opportunity for the state to separate me from my money. Does anybody know where you can get it cheap/free?

That's a reasonable approach by the deputy.
    The card is $10. The cheapest course I found was Boat US which was free. They do ask for a donation.

I did the test and have had my card for several years now. Have never been asked to present it. Even once when I was asked to show license and open all boxes to show no fish on board.

I have owned and run powered boats for over 60 years, but think the Safe Boater Card is a good idea.

I bought a Sears & Roebuck 12' Jon boat, new for $75.00 when I was a teenager.

I got an old Elgin 6hp outboard and refurbished it.

I car-topped it and ran it in Snodgrass Slough for bass.

I had so many boats and should have kept some.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I agree Bill. I automatically resist anything the State has their hand in but I figured it couldn't hurt to do it.

Same thought for me when the State gets involved. Did you do the Boat US class? It says 4-8 hrs to complete! Can you skip/FF ahead?

Maybe 3 hrs or so. 5 or 6 lessons form 30 to 60 pages each. Each page has a 24 second timer before you can go on to the next. I mostly skimmed though stuff. There's a 10 question quiz at the end of each lesson. Gotta get 8 right. You can stop and save anytime if you want to break it up. 60 question final exam same questions as the quiz. One secret- if you screw up one of the quizzes you don't have to look at each page for 24 seconds when you repeat the lesson. Don't ask me how I know.

Default Boater safety card

Quote Originally Posted by MThompson View Post
    Maybe 3 hrs or so. 5 or 6 lessons form 30 to 60 pages each. Each page has a 24 second timer before you can go on to the next. I mostly skimmed though stuff. There's a 10 question quiz at the end of each lesson. Gotta get 8 right. You can stop and save anytime if you want to break it up. 60 question final exam same questions as the quiz. One secret- if you screw up one of the quizzes you don't have to look at each page for 24 seconds when you repeat the lesson. Don't ask me how I know.
    Five years ago I was misinformed by the Oregon auxiliary sheriff staff that I need my card to boat in Oregon. Oregon has reciprocity with California so I began the process to obtain mine. At that time a booklet with the test was provided by the state. Fortunately, YouTube had the answers for the test. Took a couple of minutes to fill out and I was done. Ended up missing 4 but not enough to fail. That doesn’t work now but don’t pay to take any course, its not that hard.