That post below about Edwolt's got me to thinking about those sardines. I think we all started out fishing bait, probably worms, or sardines, or something like that.

My dad built us a bait box to keep things cold. Sometimes even lunch, sometimes bait too. It was an old wooden box painted green with my name across the front. He called it "Lucky Butch" (my nickname).

We fished a lot around and below Sacramento and Freeport. And when they built the deepwater channel that was always a good spot near Lisbon Slough.

When they built Folsom Lake and dam it was loaded with small black bass near the parking lot. I remember having to watch out for rattlesnakes as we walked the bank there.

Later when they were building Nimbus Dam and the hatchery we'd park the old DeSoto on the cliff at Phoenix Field and watch the construction. There was no Hazel Ave. bridge then.

Dad got me started fly fishing on the American for shad under the old Fair Oaks bridge. Way before there was a Sunrise Blvd. bridge we'd drive down Pennsylvania Ave. and drive right out onto the rocky gravel.

It was about then I got into fly tying with my Heddon Tackle Tyer kit. Any small fly in that same water would always catch small trout or probably smolt. Never called them smolt then, just small trout.

I could go on, but enough for now. Bill can attest growing up around Sacramento back then was great for a kid. Now we just live with our memories about the good old days.
Tony