Thread: Recco technology

Default Recco technology

This is a search and rescue technology I ran across recently.
    It does not require batteries lasts forever and is something I feel all outdoor enthusiasts, hiker, fisherman/woman, hunter, skier, snowboarder etc should have on them.
    If you were to get hurt or lost god forbid, this simple device can help locate you from a helicopter. I know there are satellite sos gps units phones but electronics need battery’s and reception.
    Simply attach this tab to your pack and or use the belt that includes the reflector. The belt is actually the stretch type that is also good for waders.
    I hike and fish alone most of the time. I think about that what “if” a lot more now that I’m in my 60s, really clumsy etc etc.. check it out.

https://recco.com/technology/

Quote Originally Posted by cmcdhuibh View Post
    It does not require batteries lasts forever and is something I feel all outdoor enthusiasts, hiker, fisherman/woman, hunter, skier, snowboarder etc should have on them.
    If you were to get hurt or lost god forbid, this simple device can help locate you from a helicopter. I know there are satellite sos gps units phones but electronics need battery’s and reception.
    Simply attach this tab to your pack and or use the belt that includes the reflector. The belt is actually the stretch type that is also good for waders.
    I hike and fish alone most of the time. I think about that what “if” a lot more now that I’m in my 60s, really clumsy etc etc.. check it out.

I believe the only helicopter in California with Recco is in Twin Bridges. Great for avalanches where patrollers have the system, but for backcountry use, it isn't there yet. I could be wrong.

I have a garmin inreach, but you're right, it has to be charged. Reception is generally not a problem. Anywhere a helicopter would find you with this device, you'd likely have a GPS signal. Biggest problem is you need to be conscious and capable enough to press the SOS button

Ya the map shows Sac area covered and 2 ski areas of course for avalanche. But for 38$ For a reflector I’ll use it.
    There is still 2 people missing in Rocky Mountain nat park this year. Some areas I hike in there have these Boulder fields there that are massive and deep. The same goes for desolation here in the Sierras, and that granite on the yuba rivers, slippery.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I believe the only helicopter in California with Recco is in Twin Bridges. Great for avalanches where patrollers have the system, but for backcountry use, it isn't there yet. I could be wrong.
    Since it's introduction it's proven to be a somewhat effective body recovery device. Doesn't do much for live rescues, the stats are out there, and it's not super encouraging. Locally dog teams make the finds long before a Recco ever arrives on scene.

I have a 10 year old Arcteryx Sidewinder goretex shell, which is just about the best piece of outdoor gear I have ever purchased. Great for skiiing and I wear it wading too. It has a Recco tab built into the sleeve. Hope I never need it.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Hmmm. If it’s only good for recovery that’s kind of a bummer..

Yeah you have to remember it is a reflector not a transmitter. So if they have an idea of where you are they can search for the reflector, but if they do not know where or even if, to look for you it does not help. It also does not provide any information as to whom or what the reflector is connected to? A spot or a personal Epirb or something in that realm that is registered to a person and transmits a help request is much more effective in a life or death situation. However it would not hurt to have a reflector as it can help pinpoint your location if they know the general area to look for you after you have requested help with your cell phone spot or Epirb device. Note that iPhones now have the capability to connect to a satellite and send an SOS signal even if they do not have cell service.
    From Apples website:
    "On iPhone 14 or later (all models), you can even use Emergency SOS via satellite to text emergency services when no cellular and Wi-Fi coverage is available."