Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lower A?

Default Lower A?

Anyone been fishing for halfpounders or chrome? Even lampreys or squawfish? Anything?

The Kiene report is getting stale - latest is from 11/7.

https://www.californiaflyfishingrepo...american-river
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Been slow for me. Did manage to get a 20 inch Sqaw the other day. Trying to get out at least acouple times a week.
    Should be some adults showing up soon. Lots of spawned out salmon milling around.

Smitty, thanks for the report. It’s a great time of the year to be on the river. Flows are ideal. I just need to make time to get out there.

A month ago I stumbled on several prolific fig trees for a nice treat. Other years all trees were barren.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Are there actually lamprey still there?? No lower news, stinky

Off topic…
    Ventured up river to the confluence, the Middle Fork was chocolate milk, probably from runoff in the fire area. North Fork looked good. I just drove around making a plan for this week. Sorry no fishing report. Just thought I’d give you’all, as seen. Fished South Fork around Greenwood at low level week day (skunked again).

Something else I found there is a state park limited pass for $20 if you are 62+. Can’t use it between Memorial and Labor Day, but good for the rest of the year. Parking is $10 most places and not sure how much for Folsom Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcdhuibh View Post
    Are there actually lamprey still there?? No lower news, stinky
    I just made that part up. I've never seen one.

Re: the MFA, I think they're doing something at Oxbow with the dam or the turbines. There are pulse flows, which is unusual this time of year.

Well, at least I can tie flies.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Lamprey come up to spawn in April, there’s been a few here and there the last couple of years.
    I saw a mink catch one at paradise about a month ago, had no idea there were still some around. He swam right by my foot, no mistaking what it was.

Lampreys are Satan’s spawn
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Any word on fish count at Nimbus?
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsource View Post
    Any word on fish count at Nimbus?
    Winter Steelhead are not here in any numbers yet. What fish are in head straight to the basin now that the river has dropped to 2000 cfs. I can tell you that the river is absolutely PLUGGED with salmon and I estimate there to be somewhere between 1,500 and 2,000 redds which by far surpasses the amount of natural spawning I've witnessed during any fall for the last 20 years...Hopefully, DWR doesn't pull the plug and leave 'em all high and dry like they do every other year...

According to the charts outflow at Folsom was 5k for 4 hrs last night, but out flow at Natoma didn’t change.
    Keeping the river closed for salmon take maybe a good thing. I may walk the north side between olive and hazel today.
    Need rain"…