Sounds like a great trip!!! Thanks for sharing pics!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pupa View Post
Attachment 19521 Attachment 19522Attachment 19523

Thanks everyone for your replies on the Baetis hatch!

Some pics from Nov 1-5 at Bollibokka. First few days were fairly slow but the action really picked-up as the front came through. Turbidity was 1.5 when we arrived and spiked to chocolate milk on our day out after the downpour. Happy to report that the fish were fat and healthy. Many in the 18+ range, plus 20", 21" and 22" bows (my largest ever on the river), with some nice browns mixed in. Arrowheads released back into the wild. The October caddis was still fairly strong but only a few fish on dries. Other hatches were a #12-14 cinnamon caddis (heavy in late morning), #18 black stonefly (fairly light), #16-18 baetis (sporadic) and midges. Successful high stick patterns (in order of success): #20 olive perdigon with orange hot spot, Oct caddis larva/pupa, cinnamon caddis larva, copper john, 20 incher, mega prince, #18 dark lord, #16 yellow caddis. No luck on rubber legs - that was a first!

Interestingly, the cinnamon caddis was a real surprise. the hatch was heavy and you can see the shucks on on the rocks in the pic. Nobody at the Fly Shop even mentioned the hatch. Also notice the pic of the salmon seine at the lake shasta inlet.

All in all, my best trip on the Mccloud after 20+ years of fishing the river - really incredible. I was worried about the turbidity and bug life and trout health, but it all felt alive and vibrant. It really lived up to its reputation after so many bummer trips with high water and high turbidity.