Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Tying Materials

Default Fly Tying Materials

In the coming days, I will be listing a lot of fly tying materials that I have stored and packed in my closet, cabinets, and boxes.

I will be starting with some of my saddles hackles ( Hoffman), necks (Hoffman and Whiting) Both salt water and fresh water.
    I also have those plastic eyes that everyone uses for deer hair bugs, dyed deer hair strips, dyed deer hair over white, super hair, Krystal flash, rubber hackle leg material, white bucktails, hooks, and much, much, more.
    Just a sample of hooks: Dai Ichi 2461, 2546, Umpqua U505 3/0, Mustad S74SNP-DT (these are the old 34007 style hook
    All my saddle hackles have been in the freezer, vacuum-sealed to prevent bugs from eating them.

This is 51 years of tying commercially and I'm just overloaded with materials and trying to slim down the collection so my wife doesn't have to deal with this, if I suddenly leave this earth

Thanks
    Jay
    Jay Murakoshi

It might take a year to sell most of it.

This is a good idea for many of us old-timers.

Our Classified is free and very effective, as long as you are not asking too much for your old stuff.

We should all be selling off or giving away some of our "stuff" so our families do not have to deal with it.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I've already given away a lot of my rods and reels to some of the younger kids who are just getting into fly fishing. I have a bunch of old
    G. Loomis GLX rods, some have never been used. These kids and their parents really appreciate it. I even give them a few lessons on casting.
    I'll be giving away a few fly tying vises to kids who are really interested in getting started tying flies. You can't imagine how many vises you collect over 50 years. Bill, do you remember a vise that came out called the Price vise that was made in La Pine, Oregon located off Hwy 97. They were actually sold at Longs Drug store in Salinas. My friend was the manager there and he had a little fishing section with some fly tying materials. At that time they were selling for $40.00
    Damn, it's funny how you can remember back many years ago but I can't remember what I had for breakfast, LOL
    Jay
    Jay Murakoshi

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Jay - I have a Price Vise. Second one I got after I realized the one that came in a Herter's tying kit was junk. I don't think I paid $40 for it and it still works great. Not rotational, but still holds a hook just fine. I'm getting in line for a few saltwater deceiver saddles when you get them up. Need white, grizzly and I think a color or two, I need to check my inventory. Mostly 1/0 to 3/0 size deceiver, whistler and seaducer type flies.

My price vise rotates and locks in every quarter turn
    Jay Murakoshi

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Interesting, I didn't think they made a rotational vise but I could be wrong. In fact, mine might not even be a Price Vise, but that's what I remember. Got it from Ed Story at Feathercraft when he was still in his old store in north St Louis, back in 1984 or 85 I think. Came with both pedestal and C clamp and an extra handle and impact washer (which are the parts that wore out, so they knew what they were doing). I made one minor modification to mine. I drilled a 1/16" hole through the stem, an inch below the T bar. Threaded a piece of monofilament through the hole, tied a perfection loop on one end and pinched a pair of large split shot on the other. When I used to use hackle guards, I could slip the perfection loop onto the hackle guard, slide the guard up and over the hook eye which would then hold all the hackle back making it easier to whip finish. The split shot provided the counter balance weight to hold the guard in place while I whip finished the head. I still have the hackle guards somewhere in my tool drawer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	price vise complete.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	589.6 KB 
ID:	19425

Name:	price vise exploded.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	721.3 KB 
ID:	19426

I still have my old Herter's vise too, first vise I used. Like you, I should find some kids who want to get into tying and donate those vises so someone uses them again.
    Last edited by DLJeff; 10-14-2023 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterHunter View Post
    In the coming days, I will be listing a lot of fly tying materials that I have stored and packed in my closet, cabinets, and boxes.

I will be starting with some of my saddles hackles ( Hoffman), necks (Hoffman and Whiting) Both salt water and fresh water.
    I also have those plastic eyes that everyone uses for deer hair bugs, dyed deer hair strips, dyed deer hair over white, super hair, Krystal flash, rubber hackle leg material, white bucktails, hooks, and much, much, more.
    Just a sample of hooks: Dai Ichi 2461, 2546, Umpqua U505 3/0, Mustad S74SNP-DT (these are the old 34007 style hook
    All my saddle hackles have been in the freezer, vacuum-sealed to prevent bugs from eating them.

This is 51 years of tying commercially and I'm just overloaded with materials and trying to slim down the collection so my wife doesn't have to deal with this, if I suddenly leave this earth

Thanks
    Jay
    Jay, I am interested in any GLX fly rods and also some white necks and maybe Tan if you have any. Carl

DLJeff,
    Not a price vise. The price vise has a short collar and a round knurl knob
    My first vise was a pair of vise grips welded to a "C" clamp. My friend who was a welder made it for me.
    Jay Murakoshi

Carl
    Not selling any of my GLX rods, as of now
    I do have two Salt water white necks. Whiting American Hackle $20.00, Keough white $13.00

Name:	IMG_6525.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	19427Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6531.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	19428
    Jay Murakoshi

Default Hackles

Good Morning,
    OK, here's a few of my saddles and a couple necks that I'm selling off.
    Metz Micro Barb #1 Grizzly $30.00
    Metz Magnum #2 Grizzly $20.00
    Hoffman #2 Grizzly Super Saddle (used, but still have a lot of usable hackles) $20.00
    Whiting High and Dry Saddle #1 Black (hackles range from 12" to 20"). $50.00
    Keough #1 Grizzly dyed brown 1/2 cape $20.00

Name:	IMG_6511.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	19430Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6512.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	19431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6513.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	19432Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6518.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	19433
    Send me a PM
    Buyer to pay shipping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6521.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	19429  
    Last edited by RoosterHunter; 10-14-2023 at 10:44 AM. Reason: add text
    Jay Murakoshi