Thread: Matching Tips and Leaders to Spey Lines

Default Matching Tips and Leaders to Spey Lines

I just added a new page under the "Spey Zone" link to help anyone with questions about what tips to use with spey heads titled, Adding tips or a leader to a spey fly line. I listed RIO and Airflo tips including MOWS, Airflo Custom Tips, RIO replacement tips, Versileaders, Poly Leaders and tapered mono leaders. I also mentioned how to choose the correct tip grain weight for the correct Skagit head weight.
    I often get clients for casting lessons that have the wrong tips on their spey heads and they think its their casting skills when its simply an unbalanced line. I hope this helps so please share this web page with anyone that you think might benefit. You can also contact me through the website (use the "contact us" link) if you would like to see specific spey casting and fishing information on the page as I am going to be adding more information in the future. Btw, the Rogue River has steelhead! See you on the water. -JP

https://jpflyfishing.com/fly-shop/speyzone/
    Jeff Putnam
    JP Flyfishing Schools
    http://jpflyfishing.com

Sacramento's own Jeff Putnam keeps improving his craft every year now.

His new website is cutting-edge now.

https://jpflyfishing.com/

Jeff and his lovely wife Angela have moved to the middle Rouge River to be in "Spey Valhalla".

He is guiding and teaching all aspects of fly fishing with his main focus on the two-handed world.

I remember when Jeff was a teenager hanging around the shop learning a lot from others.

Like me, Jeff was mentored by some of the most wonderful fly fishermen of the Great Generation.

Jeff was mentored by many but Joe Shirshac and Mac Holloway "adopted" him like a son or grandson.

At 16 Jeff went with others from Sacramento to the famous Green River.

A drift boat guide out of one of the most prestigious fly fishing lodges noticed Jeff's success on the river.

He offered Jeff a job for the next summer guiding with a drift boat and he took it........at 16......he was already about 6 feet tall.

Jeff is still mild-mannered and modest too but many can tell you he impacted their fly fishing experience.

If you want to get into the two-handed world you need to get up on the Rouge River and spend some time on the water with Jeff.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill, I wanted to respond immediately to your message post, however I’ve been on the water working with clients through some very, very long days. Steelhead have no schedule, and neither does my work schedule… just ask my wife, lol. I now have a few minutes to respond before preparing for my next week on the water.
    Let me begin by thanking you for the kind words and wonderful endorsement but most importantly for the opportunity that you gave me as a young kid to work at your fly shop for many, many years into adulthood.
    While working for you and Marylin I have learned many valuable lessons. You taught me a very important life lesson on how to care for customers/people like no other fly shop owner I’ve ever met, even during my years as a manufacture’s rep visiting fly shops all over the western U.S. You always treated everyone with respect, provided them with valuable information, never tried to make a sale but instead it always happened due to your true caring nature, your honest integrity and desire to help people. I have taken what I’ve learned from you an applied it to my business and life. So, thank you very much! It’s been an honor to work for you and know you as a person and mentor.
    I was sad when you sold your store, mostly because I knew many people wouldn’t get the same care, attention and encouragement that you gave to so many lucky customers over the years. You truly embody what the sport and life are all about. Fly fishing is not just about just catching fish… it’s the entire experience and the journey. You gave so many people that experience at Kienes Fly Shop and I’m very grateful to know you. Thank you again, friend. I hope to fish with you soon. -JP
    Jeff Putnam
    JP Flyfishing Schools
    http://jpflyfishing.com

Thanks Jeff

Marilyn and I both miss our wonderful customers/friends and our staff members but when you hit 70 you don't want to be responsible for

a small business. We had a lot of great staff members over our 30 year run. We had the old timers who were all active in World War II and

lived through the Great Depression. These good men mentored all of us younger ones like uncles. They are all gone now but will not be

forgotten. We also had lots of special young men work for us who are all now very successful in their own lives. They all were like

nephews or sons to us both and it was a joy to have them with us in the shop. Our three generations of staff members all fished together

at times, especially in our own special Lower American River.

Bill & Marilyn Kiene
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........