Thread: Lower American River Fire Dept training (Oct 5/6)

Default Lower American River Fire Dept training (Oct 5/6)

All, the Fire Department will be finishing jet boat training on the lower American River for new boat operators on Thursday & Friday (October 5/6). Unfortunately we weren't able to get this completed over the summer. As a fly fisherman, I'm sensitive to this.

As most of you know, while using an inboard jet boat we need about 9 inches on plane to clear obstructions in the river but about 2 feet when we're off plane. While on plane traveling at speed, the boat generally produces minimal wake; at slower speeds it creates a much larger wake. We train guys to slow down and basically idle to create minimal wake around drift boats, paddle boarders, and canoes. While dispatched to a drowning or other rescue event that's generally not going to be the case, priorities.

Either way, there are times when we come across fisherman in a boat that we can not slow down, it's too shallow for us to stop or maneuver. When this occurs, generally the best thing to do is to continue on plane. Throwing rocks at us, throwing sinkers, casting line at us, and yelling obscenities generally doesn't help the situation. Please understand we are trying to completely avoid you and allow your time on the river to be enjoyable. Thanks for the understanding.

My wife and I are both very glad we have firefighters, police, and military folks to keep us safe.

None of these professions are easy and quite dangerous at times.

Thanks to all of them.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I'm glad they're getting off the recliners for some training.

I had a nice 17' custom jet boat built over 10 years ago but after two trips I realized I was a danger to anyone on the river so I sold it.

We ended up on a mid-river small sandbar at the mouth of the Yuba River in the Feather River.

A nice couple on a jet ski stopped and helped Marilyn and I push it off the sand bar.

My reflexes are non-existent at 78. When something came up in front of that boat, I just froze up and crashed.

I also had to quit riding motorcycles.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........