Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP California Fly Fisher mag

Default RIP California Fly Fisher mag

Received the latest edition of the Cali FF mag, and upon turning the last page, was informed that it is indeed...the last page. The October '23 issue is the last by the publisher, Richard Anderson. I enjoyed reading the mag, and made a few mwmorable trips to lands unknown to me. It's a sign of the times for print media.

Hope Richard enjoys his 'retirement' knowing he was responsible for many good hours of reading, and more enjoyable times on the water.

Thanks!!

Another internet casualty?

sad, it was a good read.

Richard,
    Your gut tells you when it's time. After 31 years, it's time to spend more time on the water and with family. You never know when you time will come, so enjoy everyday you can.
    After 29 years of doing baja, 5 years of just fishing the Sea of Cortez and 25 years of "hosting" trips, like you, I finally decided it's time to retire from "hosting". Next year will be my last year "hosting" trips. But I will still go to Baja and fish with a few friends.
    I might even take a few trips to Montana, Idaho, Wyoming.
    Enjoy your retirement
    Jay Murakoshi

The Cal Fly Fisher was one of my favorite publications.

Richard is a fine gentleman who did a great job for us California fly fishing anglers.

Most of us retired because we got old, not because we wanted too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thats a real bummer. I have a stack of them 2 feet high and every time I fish somewhere new I know if I dig through them there'll be an article with advice. The national magazines, Drake, Fly Fisherman, etc rarely write anything about California.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

[QUOTE=Bill Kiene semi-retired;213502]The Cal Fly Fisher was one of my favorite publications.

Richard is a fine gentleman who did a great job for California Fly Anglers.

, I wrote at least 3 stories for Richard, and he was a easy man to deal with.

Carl Blackledge

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    Another internet casualty?
    No. Richard has been talking about closing the last chapter for a while now. It was not entirely a financial decision but a decision based on simply wanting to get away from working all of the time and giving himself some free time to enjoy life. I've written for all of the sports fishing magazines and without exception writing for Richard has been the most fun and rewarding of all - by far. Bud Bynack was the best editor you could ever hope to have take your article to cutting board.
    Last edited by Ralph; 09-22-2023 at 08:57 PM.

I agree 100% Ralph.
    It was an honor to be a member of the team.
    Nothing but love and respect for Rich and Bud. I can't thank them enough.
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

CFF's departure leaves a huge void in the world we share. It's been a clearing house for everything pertinent to fly fishing in California, from tackle and angling opportunities to conservation and to our shared history and culture. I can't think of any fishing magazine that's been as consistently interesting. That's in part a testament to the richness of California's fisheries, and to the imagination of the anglers who've shared their stories. But at the heart of things are Rich Anderson's taste, his openness to new ideas and his sense that our angling history still informs our current practices. I count myself lucky to have been a part of it for the past three decades.

This is a real shame

Very happy for Richard but my fav fishing pub by a long way.