Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to understand weighted eyes for saltwater shrimp flies

Bill Kienes summary from 2015 sums it up pretty well.Thanks Bill.
    Best Regards

Quote Originally Posted by DLJeff View Post
    Many guides will keep saying strip, strip as the fish follows your fly. The problem with this technique is often the fish will either get too close to you and spook, or it will give up and go looking for easier prey to catch.
    All of the information in your post was great, but I question this statement a little. For someone with a lot of bonefishing experience, not following your guide's instructions may be a good call. For many (most) of us, the guide probably 1) has a better handle on what will hook the fish and 2) can see what the fish is doing better than you.

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    All of the information in your post was great, but I question this statement a little. For someone with a lot of bonefishing experience, not following your guide's instructions may be a good call. For many (most) of us, the guide probably 1) has a better handle on what will hook the fish and 2) can see what the fish is doing better than you.
    No argument, if one is new to any sort of fishing, it's probably best to listen to your guide. But be observant and watch the fish, watch what it does as you keep stripping. Often when people strip, they automatically pause between strips as they reposition their hand. That brief stop is often when the fish will pounce. And when you get a chance to try your own method try the way I described it above. I didn't develop that, some of the best bonefish guides in the Bahamas taught me and most of the people I've fished with over there. I promise you it works more often than continuous stripping.