Thread: New Hogan Reservoir is good right now for top water Stripers.

Default New Hogan Reservoir is good right now for top water Stripers.

They put Stripers in New Hogan about 30 years ago and we fly fished it back then.

The limit is 10 per day with no size limit. The water is usually very clear and clean.

Great place to get some clean fish to eat.

Lots of it is chasing big boils with stripers eating threadfin shad, on top, which is very exciting.

There are dozens of YouTube videos of this exciting fishing.

Captain Andy Guibord has probably fly fished more than any one else I know except Dan Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhO3f7z0iK4
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

They tolerate kayaks approaching a lot better than a boat bearing down on them. I never bother chasing boils. I just go fishing and sometimes they show up within casting distance. The bass fishing has been horrendous up there. I haven't even used my $40 pass enough times to get my monies worth this year. Maybe I'll sneak up this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by MThompson View Post
    They tolerate kayaks approaching a lot better than a boat bearing down on them. I never bother chasing boils. I just go fishing and sometimes they show up within casting distance. The bass fishing has been horrendous up there. I haven't even used my $40 pass enough times to get my monies worth this year. Maybe I'll sneak up this fall.
    We fly fished it when it was a new thing many years ago. We had smaller 15' slower skiffs back then and the bass boats with big motors

would sit, idle, waiting for a boil. When the fish came up they would race to the schools and throw Threadfin shad lures each hooking a

fish. They shut off so close to the boils that you could hear the Stripers banging into their fiberglass hulls with thuds.

Mike Monroe would have his fly line trailing out behind his pram so he could launch it quickly when he got close to the boils.

It is not that easy with a fly rod. Fly casting skills are really important there.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........