Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sooooo...

Default Sooooo...

with these dams starting to come down on the Klamath, what will the river look like this fall? Next fall? I know it's been in bad shape the last few years with drought and burn scars but is there a chance we'll be able to fish it this fall?

Copco #2 has been removed but the other three dams including the lowermost dam (Iron Gate) are scheduled for removal in 2024. In short, dam removal will not impact fishing this fall. Next fall? We'll see how the schedule and associated impacts pan out. Fires are an unknown as we are still in the middle of fire season. As we've seen, one big fire followed by a big storm can be a game changer.

From what I've heard, the big slide that mucked things up last year is no longer causing clarity issues. The river is clear all the way down to the Glen. And I haven't heard of any algae issues either. I understand that the powers that be will be soon increasing flows into the Trinity to cool the Klamath a bit. It's at 69 deg this week, which is actually pretty standard for this time of year. No heat waves up there in the forecast, so it should stay cool-ish for a while. Word is there was a push of adult summer fish a couple weeks ago, and a bunch of fall half-pounders. So there should be fish spread throughout the river.

The fire up that way is by the Tish Tang area on the Trinity, southeast of Hoopa. So it's not affecting the Klamath. Fingers crossed we have no more fires up there.

I'm actually heading up there next weekend for 4 days. I'll post a report when I get back. I've had some epic days in the past the first week of September. So we shall see......

~Jeff

I heard from someone working near the Trinity yesterday that it was running dark brown. It's probably due to rain on burn scars and flow increases for the Hoopa boat dance. Apparently, it rained a bunch up high but not down in Hoopa. That'll make the Klamath murky below Weichpec. Hopefully, it clears up quickly.

I'm waiting for a report on Klamath conditions up by Orleans. It may be better there.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
    I heard from someone working near the Trinity yesterday that it was running dark brown. It's probably due to rain on burn scars and flow increases for the Hoopa boat dance. Apparently, it rained a bunch up high but not down in Hoopa. That'll make the Klamath murky below Weichpec. Hopefully, it clears up quickly.

I'm waiting for a report on Klamath conditions up by Orleans. It may be better there.
    I'm fishing around Orleans next week. I'll let you know.

~Jeff

From today's Kenny Priest North Coast report:

Lower Klamath
    Flows on the lower Klamath are peaking Wednesday following the releases from Lewiston last Friday. As of Wednesday, flows were 5,220 cfs and leveling off. Reportedly, there is muddy water headed downriver from the Happy Camp area from the flash floods over the weekend. When that hits, it will be a few days before the river will be fishable again.

My sources confirm the same. The Klamath was "nasty" at Orleans yesterday. And, firelines are being cut close to Orleans to protect town from the Pearch fire as it continues to grow.

I'm hoping it all clears out in a couple of weeks but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe the Rogue is faring better? 199 has been closed so the lower Rogue might be interesting.
    Last edited by TahoeJoe; 08-24-2023 at 09:13 AM.

Please check water Temps before fishing mid to lower K. Orleans 70deg Klamath Glen 69. Klamath Glen will go back up after T flows come back down.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
    My sources confirm the same. The Klamath was "nasty" at Orleans yesterday. And, firelines are being cut close to Orleans to protect town from the Pearch fire as it continues to grow.

I'm hoping it all clears out in a couple of weeks but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe the Rogue is faring better? 199 has been closed so the lower Rogue might be interesting.
    Pearch Fire? Oh no! Didn't know about that one. Well since I was planning on camping at Pearch Ck, looks like yet another Klamath trip down the tubes. 4th year in a row.

Until it rains and nighttime temps drop dramatically really no one should be fishing. Some very well known outfitters are down there fishing clients is 70 degree water….,