Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yuba River Access Blocked

Bummer.

Are these now the only boat launch options?

1. Launch on the North/West side at the 20 bridge parking by sliding/carrying down boat to river (if even feasible).

2. Pay for a club membership above the 20 bridge for rights to launch from their property

Thanks.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

I've been curious about the gate myself and went down this evening to take a look. It looks like you can still hike in as there is about 2ft of space at the ends of the gate but there is no longer vehicle access. Some ideas on floating it from the bridge is with something you can carry down to the river. I'll probably bikeraft it myself. It sucks that you cant just drive down to the best spots but the effort you put into getting there on foot should make it all the sweeter. Plus no more people leaving trash and scrapped vehicles all over the place. I've honestly never seen the Yuba so quiet and clean.

Parks Bar remains unchanged.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230801_201100.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	19283
    Last edited by mattv-mcfly; 08-01-2023 at 09:58 PM.
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/

And if we're closing that area what incentive is there to ever transfer the Army Corps' holdings south of the bridge to the BLM as been teased years, or for the BLM to open the rest of its holdings south of the bridge. Less than zero. Sounds a bottle of red and a few calls to the Board of Supervisors are in order.

Sounds about right for California. Don’t clean up and manage the area for legal appropriate access, just shut it down and make us sue them to restore it. Sad but not surprising.

This cutoff of the road does two things: first it cuts off an access that has been there for over 30 years. This closure will eliminate a great deal of very productive fishing waters. Second it deprives guides of a way to earn a living.

Certainly some bright minds could have gotten together and come up with a compromise.

Sadly there are not really any bright minds in policy setting these days, on either side of the aisle.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
    This cutoff of the road does two things: first it cuts off an access that has been there for over 30 years. This closure will eliminate a great deal of very productive fishing waters. Second it deprives guides of a way to earn a living.

Certainly some bright minds could have gotten together and come up with a compromise.
    WA was sued twice for injuries incurred by knuckle dragging, red neck drunks who crashed their OHVs on WA property. One person broke her neck flipping an ATV and the claim was settled out of court. IMHO the gate is needed to secure their "attractive nuisance", but I wish they could place the gate lower down the river to allow anglers launch access. As it is the OHV assholes have ruined it for everybody. Anglers were NOT the target, just collateral damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    WA was sued twice for injuries incurred by knuckle dragging, red neck drunks who crashed their OHVs on WA property. One person broke her neck flipping an ATV and the claim was settled out of court. IMHO the gate is needed to secure their "attractive nuisance", but I wish they could place the gate lower down the river to allow anglers launch access. As it is the OHV assholes have ruined it for everybody. Anglers were NOT the target, just collateral damage.
    If that is really the issue, why are OHV allowed and even encouraged on other state, federal lands?

Follow the money. That Teichert paid for the gates is all you need to know, even if Yuba county issued the order to erect them.

75% of the United States of America's land mass is rural so some trout folks are moving to Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado.

If you choose to move, which is not possible for most, I would stay far away from any big city.

Having two smaller homes, one in the northern part of America and one in the southern part, is an interesting idea.

We like the Pacific coast for the warmer months because it is around a 65 degree high almost all summer.

I would look at the coast of Oregon and Washington for the cool summer weather, with clams, crabs, berries and fresh fish.

The southern Atlantic coast and the entire Gulf coast of the USA would be nice for the winters.

This way you can be outside, RVing/camping and fishing almost all year long.

Food for thought.................
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I wonder how far down the western most gate is, towards Marysville ? Is it possible to access the lower sections of the river from Marysville? Also, keep in mind that you can access from Sycamore Ranch, cross the river and hoof up to the island or thereabouts.

It is much more walking involved for sure, but it seems like lack of responsibility wins again. I take my OHV on your property. I am driving. I get into an accident . . . But wait . . . Now I sue you??? WTH?