Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Sale--R& L Winston Fiberglass Vintage Rod--from Orginal SF Store

Default For Sale--R& L Winston Fiberglass Vintage Rod--from Orginal SF Store

This 'Classic' San Francisco R&L Winston fly rod was my dad's, used at our small cabin in Berry Creek and fished on the North Fork of the Feather River until 1980 when we sold the cabin to my Aunt. I think it's been in its sock & tube since then or soon thereafter & is in great condition. It's a 2 piece, 8.5 Foot, 6 weight fly rod and was given an 'opinion of value' by Kiene's Shop Employee, Jim Adams Angling visit & an actual conversation with an RL Winston Twin Bridges, Montana Shop Staff member.

Price is $650 which is about one-half of the range of values expressed to me by those experienced Fly Fishing contacts.

Rod is available to be seen on a video call or in person after buyer speaks live with me directly. I'm not on this site daily so phone calls are far more time efficient for interested buyers. I'm in San Francisco in the Marina Dist & available at 415-606-4145, Cheers--Crosby Hyde
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dads R & L Rod Photo July 24, 2023.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	19240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dads 2nd R & L Rog Photo July 24, 2023.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	19239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R & L Winston Fiberglass Rod.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	19238  

The rod you have pictured is not one of their fiberglass rods. It is one of their early graphite rods. Still fairly desirable rod.

Russell
    Last edited by RSK; 07-24-2023 at 06:24 PM.

Interesting, because it does not have the light-colored spigot type furrel that the fiberglass rods have.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

"Price is $650 which is about one-half of the range of values expressed to me by those experienced Fly Fishing contacts."
    A great place to find the going value is in ebay "Completed Auctions/Sold Items" for all your items. You can select this and it will give you a good idea of what people are paying. And for the seller, they are paying around 20% in fees. The same goes if you have a shop sell it for you. They will have a fee for selling it and ask high retail waiting for the right buyer.
    Pictures and information is everything. If you have it priced right it will sell.

thanks for that input Russell, very curious since we had 4 fly fishing experts view it personally? Since it was purchased on or before the San Francisco Shop moved to Montana & each of these gentleman had said 'it was a fiberglass rod? I'm just listening to those with the experience, CH

Here is an example CH
    https://www.freestonevintagetackle.c...c-graphite-rod

Here is a thread from fiberglassflyrodders and if you scroll down to the second to the last post you will see that Tom Morgan answers this question.
    https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/for...php?f=2&t=8229
    There is another post by Morgan where he talks about his fiberglass rods and how they were ferruled with spigots.
    I don't claim to be an expert but all the early winston fiberglass rods I have seen are brown blanks with spigot, mostly white, ferrules.

Russell

CH - With all due respect to your experts, at this point you should accept RSK's generous, courteous information and guidance! Good Luck, Bob
    Last edited by Bob G; 07-26-2023 at 08:39 PM.

Yes, it looks like it is a graphite Winston fly rod and not an old fiberglass model.

I am sure it has some value but who knows what that would be.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

On another note, it might be worthwhile to include some clear photos where the actual condition of the rod can be seen as well as any identifying writing.

CH - Jim Adams is very highly regarded. So please include a picture of Jim's written "Opinion of Value" stating $1,300.