Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guided trips getting too $$$?

Riverside to Mesa is still very upper Henry's Fork. Funny about not seeing a Moose until Elko, climate change has sent a ton of Idaho moose packing into Northern Nevada.

Years ago only the old wealthy doctors, dentists, attorneys, contractors, big farmers and developers went with fly fishing guides.

They were the same self-made men of the Great Generation who also traveled around the World to fly fishing lodges

Men today are not what they used to be, on average, so many can not tell their young wives they are going with friends for a week to a

fly fishing Lodge and spending $5,000 to $10,000 dollars. Oh, no..................it's a family vacation or divorce.

Optional read: Fly Fishing Travel is not the same today:

"Back in the day" we had very powerful men who paid for 12 people, the entire lodge, to go fly fishing and invite family, golf friends,

customers and their employees. These great men, who grew up during the Great Depression and were involved in World War II, were

real strong independent men. Us old Baby Boomers were lucky to have them for fathers, uncles and old friends. They are all gone now

but had incredible lives. When they came home from World War II they were heroes to most of the World. The World pulled together to

fight Germany and Japan so after the War the World was like a big family. Today our kids know almost nothing about how loved

America was after World War II. We helped rebuild the World after the Big War, even Germany and Japan.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Glad you had a good trip with TVL. Who was your guide?

That section is one of my favorites on the HF for just the reason you mention, the diversity of the water. For an adventure, on your next float, request Mesa to Warm River.

We had a young kid still in college, Caleb...didn't get a last name. It was his first season guiding, but no complaints he put us on a lot of nice fish....though my daughter did learn a lot of new words. Mesa to Warm River next time! though I do want to fish Island Park and Harrimans at some point, just to see what all the fuss is about.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Smile c/c

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    Funny about not seeing a Moose until Elko, climate change has sent a ton of Idaho moose packing into Northern Nevada.
    Aaron: Yea, I hear ya on that climate change issue, we're not seeing near the regular number of Sasquatch here in NORTH ID. Don't really miss them tho they're a low-holin' crowd anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Depends on where you go to some degree and what the market will bear at the location. I have two days booked (with two different guides) in August on a well known river in Oregon. Both guides come highly recommended. They are $500 and $475 daily rate. Under $600 with a decent tip. Still a chunk of money, but not $800.
    Might that river be the Williamson? My brother and I drifted it with Chuck Storey on Saturday. His full-day rate is $475 and worth every penny of it. We started in the early afternoon (because of a river clean-up that morning) and later that afternoon, we got into some of the big Redbands that the river is famous for. My brother and I each brought to net four fish in the eighteen-inch plus range and a number of fat, healthy fish in the fourteen to seventeen-inch range. The last fish of the day was a brute in the thirty-inch range that my brother caught.

Attachment 19328Attachment 19329
    Last edited by ricards; 08-14-2023 at 03:10 PM.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir