Thread: FS: Vintage Bamboo Fly Rod-9'#6, 3 pc Excellent Condition

Default FS: Vintage Bamboo Fly Rod-9'#6, 3 pc Excellent Condition

My fathers vintage 1930's era Bamboo Fly Rod. Item was personally reviewed by Kiene's Fly Shop staff & Jim Adams Angling and is in excellent condition. It's a 3 Piece Nine (9) Foot six (6) weight rod which was used decades ago by my father at our near 'Berry Creek' cabin near the North Fork of Feather River. It's been in its steel case for 30 years with no use and also has a Hardy Bro's reel which I'll list separately.

It was given to me after my father's passing and I've never continued to do any fly fishing for many years so I'm hopeful it will be purchased by someone who can either use it, or as been suggested by vintage fly fishing gear 'collectors' that it could be mounted on a wall of a home as I was going to consider to do in my former Lake Tahoe property. Seller is glad to host a video call for buyer to see the rod live and do a personal viewing at my San Francisco apt once terms are agreed to in live phone conversation.

Price = $595.00

Buyers are welcome to call me personally with any questions.

Cheers, Crosby Hyde (415) 606-4145
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bamboo Rod 4 Piece View.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	19234  

Is there any writing on this rod?

It looks like it is a 3 piece rod with an extra tip. That is a good thing.

Are all four pieces the same length?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Who made the rod? Is it from a known rodmaker or mass-market? $600 sounds rich to me for a mass-market rod, but I don't follow the cane rod market closely. Cane rods, particularly from known rodmakers, are incredible pieces of craftsmanship with a lot of history and soul, but the market for them is very limited. Guys on this Forum like Rich Morrison deal with collectible cane rods all the time and have a better feel for valuations.

Did you post your Hardy reel? I didn't see it yet. What is it?

Hello, I didn't see your name here 'Sonoman' I'm Crosby in SF & thank you for your note- sorry for my delay I'm brand new to this site. I prefer & have listed my phone number for inquiries on the rod. I'm posting the other rods and reels later today. As I mentioned I did a site trip to Kienes shop & Jim Adam's angling where we had live discussions of value, so I just listened to those experts. I have another almost identical bamboo rod and an R & L Fiberglas 2 piece also--will list all of them later today or tomorrow--Crosby 415-606-4145

Bill, sorry for my delay here, I got behind on listing the other gear & will do later today. I think the spare extra tip is same length I don't see any writing on the rod. Cheers, Crosby

Doesn't look like the two tips are identical in the photo. Maybe it casts different line weights with different tips?

Any identifying information on the rod's sock or tube?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Doesn't look like the two tips are identical in the photo. Maybe it casts different line weights with different tips?
    It has an old gear type EC Powel design reel seat.

Tony Maslan in Yuba City was married to a Powel and I used to send good cane rods to him for repairs.

My friend, Harry Boley, had Tony Maslan build him a nice split cane fly rod about 50 years ago.

https://www.brandin-splitcane.com/st...2%BD-8_ft.html

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...pg?format=750w

It is very possible that this rod was made by Tony Maslan because of that old rare "gear type" E C Powell design reel seat.

It would take an E C Powell / Tony Maslan expert to figure this out.

It also has the old swedged nickel silver furrels which separated the common bamboo fly rods from the premium ones.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The reel seat is most definitely not Powell or Maslan. The tips are from two different rods. Perhaps the ferrules both fit? I don’t know what it is. Appears to be kit rod (the 3 pieces that do match) to me. Ferrules are not drawn but the type found on large scale production rods.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com