Thread: Loreto report with a few pictures

Default Loreto report with a few pictures

This year's trip to Loreto could be characterized as "the great, the bad, and the lucky," my take on the famous phrase. The great would be pretty much everything about the Roosterfish. We caught more big Roosters on average this year compared to any prior year that I can remember including a couple of giants, and we had plentiful small Roosters in some holes, and also found places where there were lots of 20-25 pounders.

Our best day was when my boat partner landed a beauty a little over 40 pounds as I watched with envy. About ten minutes later the guide started screaming about several big Roosters that were coming toward us as if on a crash course for the boat, and the one in the lead looked like it was about five feet long and extra fat. Suddenly they swerved into a large arc away from us, and I knew I had to think fast, so I made a very long cast straight out to intercept them and then that front runner turned about 30 degrees. I didn't want to strip my fly back to the boat because I didn't want to pull it out of his path. Then he came around and believe it or not he gobbled my fly and the battle was on! I started pulling on him like he owed me money and after a while he got closer and closer, and after a group effort to get him in the net my guide said he was possibly 70 pounds. So much for the theory of 15% fly and 85% strip for catching Roosters. I really think it’s more important to read the fish and the current situation and act accordingly.

On another day we were cruising along casting our flies while the captain was throwing out some chum, and all of a sudden he started screaming about a big Rooster coming out of nowhere that was trying to eat my fly. I set up and had him on for about two seconds and then he dropped my fly and proceeded to rush over and grab my boat partner’s fly. My buddy got a good fight and ended up landing him and that fish was about 45 pounds. What a show! The number and size of the Roosters we caught (and on cast flies) was so much fun and it made up for the lack of Dorado and billfish.

Dorado fishing was bad compared to last year and never really took off. Some of the guides thought the fish were there but really deep. It seemed our whole trip was hit or miss. If you were lucky you got a big one, if you weren’t you got nothing. On the first day I caught one around 15 pounds and another around 25 pounds and after some time we spotted some weed patches and Dorado swimming around. I cast about 60 feet and instantly came tight to a good-sized fish, and after a 20-minute fight I landed what turned out to be a 40 pound beauty. A few days later my boat partner caught a 45-pound beauty and we thought that would bode well from that point but it turned out not to be the case. Either they weren’t around the sargasso, or if there were some smaller ones around, you had to be first on the scene because they quickly became jaded and wouldn’t bite. Also, you could go to the buoys and get a few early, but then a bunch of boats would show up, over-chum the water, drive over the fish and shut the action down that way. We got tired of trolling for the Dorado by traditional methods and often decided to put up the trolling rods and go after the Roosters. We did come up with a strategy of marking the fish on GPS when we were first in the morning and caught a few, then when we were done fishing for the day we would stop back at the same spot on the way home and get one on every cast for a little while since everyone else had left. For some context, during our trip they held two Dorado bait tournaments a week apart and one winner was a hair over 41 pounds and the other winner was 38 pounds. We caught bigger ones on flies.

Unfortunately, the Oasis Hotel where I have stayed every year for two decades, had some real problems this year that negatively impacted me and other guests that were there during my stay. Many of the rooms and the kitchen were in disrepair and the service was really poor. But as luck would have it, I went “hotel shopping” near the end of my trip and found a new place that is almost completed and ready to open called the Baja Triangle. They have lots of amenities and from what I heard they are going to be less expensive. I would advise everyone to check out their website http://thebajatriangle.com/.

That’s where I plan to stay next year.

My Tools of the Trade:

Smaller Roosters: Sage 9-wt. Salt HD rod with either the RIO OBS full floater or the SA jungle line and a Tibor Signature 9/10 reel.

Last year the Roosters favored the floating line and this year they wanted the clear sink tip. Go figure.

Dorado and Bigger Fish: Loomis NRX+ 12-wt. rods with the same lines as the 9-wts. and Tibor Signatures in 11/12 for reels.

Trolling: Sage 16-wt. rod using a home-made running line with a

30-foot sailfish shooting head and a Tibor Signature 12 reel.

This set-up is to troll locator flies. I have my own pattern called the Chicken.

Flies:

Airheads with little or no flash tied on SP 600 hooks work great for Roosters.

Last year I came up with a new sardine pattern I call the Baja fly. I tested it last year and used it again this year with great success. It’s very effective and almost bullet-proof from the Needle fish.

Leaders:

We all mostly switched over to the twisted leaders in mono. with tiny swivels and then 30 inches of tippet in fluorocarbon. This set-up is cheap and works well, and since the fly is the last thing to hit the water, it prevents your cast from landing in a pile because of faulty turnover.

I’d be happy to answer specific questions by email or talk more about my own experience and the Loreto scene in general. Drop me line if you care to.

Carl Blackledge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	another smaller rooster.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	19209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dorado 1.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	870.0 KB 
ID:	19210   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dorado 2.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	930.4 KB 
ID:	19211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dorado 3.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	883.4 KB 
ID:	19212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dorado 4.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	896.0 KB 
ID:	19213  

Great trip, Carl. You really catch a ton of hard pulling fish down there. I can’t figure out why I am not doing that trip. I may need to convince one of my friends to go with me. If I did go I would need some days off from fishing. Maybe two days fishing and one day off to snorkel or hike or siesta all day. My new schedule for winter steelhead is one day on and one day off. I canoe fished 16 days in a row for bass in Canada and I was pretty wasted by the end of it.

Thanks for the post.

Hi John,

I cant't understand why everybody doesn't fish Loreto, For about $190.00 per day with my guide and my new hotel, Yes it's pretty cheap place and I actually catch fish. I feel sorry for other guys who pay $3200-$6000 dollars per week for less then half the pleasure Loreto offers. I don't sell trips and actually don't care where others decide to fish, I fish in Loreto and love it, and catch more and bigger Rooster's then anybody that I know of, not meant to bragg just a fact and I do it for about 50% cheaper then anybody else even with all the crazy stuff going on.

Carl Blackledge

If I do go I am going to buy about 100 flies from you. When I went back in 2008 if I could not get a bite the Captain would look in my fly box, not find anything and grab the other guy’s box and hand me a fly. I had tied a bunch but I had no idea what I was doing so I think they were all bad but did catch some fish.

After we fished we would stop at a store and I would get a beer called the ballena. It was a wicked whale sized beer. They kept the ballena in a block of ice so it was super cold. The guy at the store would chip it out of the ice then wrap it in newspaper for insulation. After a dehydrating day of fishing it would go right to my head. The bottle was returnable so the next day you could bring it back and save 10 centavos on your next ballena. That is a great country.

Thanks for the advice.

John, You certainly don't need 100 flies.

Carl

MLSDev is a reputable software development company that has made a significant impact in the tech industry. With a track record of excellence dating back several years, MLSDev has consistently demonstrated its prowess in delivering top-notch software solutions to clients across various industries. In this comprehensive comment, we will delve into what sets MLSDev apart, highlighting its core strengths, areas of expertise, and the reasons why it stands out as a prominent player in the software development landscape.
    Last edited by kevins; 09-15-2023 at 03:02 AM.

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the equipment list. What are you guy's running for backing and do you need to be overly worried about packing a bunch of backing on??

Everything seems to get messy with capacity and what is advertised ... I like the Seaguar hollow core 60 but the capacity is more like micron than say braid.

For reference I have the Abel 11/12N.. Thanks, Nate

Nate,

Most of us use 50-65 pound power pro, If the fish is really big you can always move the boat. 300- 350 yds seems to be around normal. If you need more information, just ask.

Carl

Hi Nate,
    Carl has it dialed in and has good advice from decades of experience. He helped me when I got into saltwater. I have an Abel 11 and Tibors with 50 or 65lb PowerPro for Loreto that served me well for big dorado, roosters, and sails. You will be fine. Know your knots and splices...these fish are tougher than trout and salmon.

Bob