Thread: Fall River Guides

Default Fall River Guides

Looking for Guide recommendations for the Fall River for a young mans 21st birthday. I haven't fished up there in many years. Who are the top guides up there these days? Thanks

Andrew Harris would be my top pick.

530-632-3465

andrew@confluenceoutfitters.com

If he is booked at that time they have other top guides in the Confluence Outfitters Group he can refer you to.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Dax Messet, hands down....

Jay Cockrum (530) 412-2593, father of the Jaydacator, is the go to guide for these waters. You will not find a more knowledgeable guide with the best of boat and equipment. Here is what a trip looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZDHS_RlwCU
    Last edited by Tahoetrout; 07-07-2023 at 11:52 AM.

Tony P,
    If you and your 21 year old want to bobber lob, then I would suspect that Jaydacator is one of many who do so. Dax is not interested in that type of angling.

Best, M

Quote Originally Posted by Mike McCune View Post
    Dax Messet, hands down....
    I am sure that Mike knows better what is going on today than I do.

Thanks Son.

__________________________________________________ _____

In the 1970s we learn to fly fish, "matching the hatch" in the surface, from Bob Quigley.

Bob would roll over in his grave if he knew how many guides today mostly fish indicators.

Bob showed us how to tie his patterns for the Fall River and Hat Creek then he showed us how to fish them.

Quigley was all that and more. He had a wonderful life and many good friends.

He used to go down to Chili all winter for big trout.

He always had that Cheshire Cat grin on his face for us young wannabees.

Thank God for Spey casting because it really shut down the indicator fishing for Steelhead.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Dax Masset and Art Teter are both very good guides on the Fall. Both Dax and Art know how to swing a fly on the Fall, but Art probably spends more time on the Fall than any other guide. I'm sure Art will indicator fish if you want. Can't go wrong with either.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy B View Post
    Dax Masset and Art Teter are both very good guides on the Fall. Both Dax and Art know how to swing a fly on the Fall, but Art probably spends more time on the Fall than any other guide. I'm sure Art will indicator fish if you want. Can't go wrong with either.
    I've fished with Art on the Fall and he definitely knows every inch of the river and he'll throw bobbers if you want or swing wets whatever you want....but he's old school, don't expect Chamber of Commerce charm! . If you're doing something wrong you'll get a "gimme the rod, do it like THIS" For all the gruffness, I learned a lot from him about the Fall in just one day. After you've caught a few on the bobber he'll switch it up with the slow sinking line. That's a real fun way to get them on the Fall.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.