Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Golden Trout- asking for advice

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Churchill View Post
    Al, I will be leading the GBF Golden Trout trip to some of the tribs of the South Fork of the Kern next month. It is the second in a series of trips designed to help some of us complete the California Heritage Trout Challenge. Although the South Fork is the ancestral home of the California Golden Trout, most of it is now dominated by Brown Trout and Rainbow /Golden hybrids. Pure Goldens are still present in some of the tribs that are accessible by road and/or short hikes. Next year I will be leading a trip to the Main Stem Kern to pursue Kern River Rainbows and Little Kern Goldens in their native waters. (As you probably know, California Goldens are also native to Golden Trout Creek, which was a trib of the South Fork before a lava flow redirected it to the Main Stem Kern.)

As others have noted, Goldens heve been planted in several other Sierra drainages. A closer option is the Laurel Lakes, just south ot the town of Mammoth Lakes and near Convict Lake. The Laurel Lakes are at about 9000 feet and a few miles up a 4WD road from Sherman Creek Road off 395.

Feel free to call or text me at 916-833-7071 if you would like to discuss the options.

just a note a Laurel.. its a pretty rugged 4x4 trail that needs a high clearance, modified vehicle. It also got washed out 2 summers ago and not sure how well it was repaired
    The hike up there is 5mi and about 2800' elevation gain..

Quote Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
    just a note a Laurel.. its a pretty rugged 4x4 trail that needs a high clearance, modified vehicle. It also got washed out 2 summers ago and not sure how well it was repaired
    The hike up there is 5mi and about 2800' elevation gain..
    I have a stock 4x4 Xterra and made it without any issues. But yes, it's pretty gnarly in a few spots. That was 4 years ago. Not sure about the washout conditions now.

Thanks Mike. I'll give you a call. I'll be coming back from a trip to the Green and SF Snake on the 12th, which I believe will be your departure date, so this trip may not work out.

This fellow gave a presentation to our club a couple months ago. He can get you into goldens from Ponderosa, above Porterville on Hwy 190. No need for a pack train or multiple day hike.
    http://www.kaweahflyfishers.org/kffc...-april-7-2023/
    Robert