Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golden Trout- asking for advice

Default Golden Trout- asking for advice

Hi all. I've never fished for golden trout, but now that I'm retired, I would like to see one of these pretty little guys attached to a dry fly.
    It seems the upper Kern, Golden Trout creek and Mulkey creek are some choices.

If you have any advice on when and where to go, I'd appreciate it. I'm OK with doing some hiking, but my backpacking days are behind me.

I know nothing of that area- rivers, flows, access, lodging etc. so all help offered is appreciated.

Thank you
    Al

Many people seeking their first goldens hike up to the Cottonwood Lakes on the east side of the Sierra.

https://flyfishingthesierra.com/cottonwood_gtcreek.htm

~Jeff

Thanks Jeff- I'd not heard of Cottonwood Lakes. It seems there is a ton of snow up there so I'll keep an eye on it.

Al

Horseshoe Meadows is at the end of the road where you access Cottonwood Lakes Trail. At one time it was just a short walk out into the meadow where you could find some goldens in the creek. The recent dry years may have reeked havoc on them though.

If you can still camp you should consider hiring a horse packer to take you to Lower South ForkLake in the Cottonwood Lakes Basin. Have a base camp there and you can then hike to many lakes and streams within the basin, though Lower Soth Fork can fish well especially near dusk. Over 10 different lakes to fish, let alone the streams.

Ralph and Lisa Cutters used to take groups with Kennedy Meadows Pack Station for big Golden trout in the past.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The Granite Bay Flycasters has some trips for Goldens scheduled. Goldens are one of several native CA trout that we hope to catch.

See the S Kern fishout flyer for the next trip, and call Mike.

https://gbflycasters.org/fishout-schedule/

That's a great idea McFish- thank you. I'll check it out. Thanks all for the other suggestions. This is a great forum and resource!

https://www.timhuckaby.com/shop/

This guy seems to know a lot about fishing the upper Kern also

Al, I will be leading the GBF Golden Trout trip to some of the tribs of the South Fork of the Kern next month. It is the second in a series of trips designed to help some of us complete the California Heritage Trout Challenge. Although the South Fork is the ancestral home of the California Golden Trout, most of it is now dominated by Brown Trout and Rainbow /Golden hybrids. Pure Goldens are still present in some of the tribs that are accessible by road and/or short hikes. Next year I will be leading a trip to the Main Stem Kern to pursue Kern River Rainbows and Little Kern Goldens in their native waters. (As you probably know, California Goldens are also native to Golden Trout Creek, which was a trib of the South Fork before a lava flow redirected it to the Main Stem Kern.)

As others have noted, Goldens heve been planted in several other Sierra drainages. A closer option is the Laurel Lakes, just south ot the town of Mammoth Lakes and near Convict Lake. The Laurel Lakes are at about 9000 feet and a few miles up a 4WD road from Sherman Creek Road off 395.

Feel free to call or text me at 916-833-7071 if you would like to discuss the options.
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.