Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aargh, I hate thieves

Default Aargh, I hate thieves

I am super bummed out.

emotional rant coming, please bear with me:

-edit -
    removed much of the post

This was a long post full of lots of details about the situation, but after I typed it all in, I decided this was too public a forum for the amount of info I was unloading to it. So I am gonna delete most of the post and just give you guys the basics and the emotional rant
    -end edit-

I was parked at Hat Creek PH 2 today fishing the riffle and my car got broken into.
    They broke a side wing window and stole my pants with wallet and house keys.
    Also got a brownish orangeish duffel bag with spare clothes and lots of little stuff in it.
    A few extra reels and some fly boxes and lots of miscellaneous crap.

Got my house keys, so since they know my address I have to replace three door locks at my house.

Got a number of other keys to other houses and building but since they have no idea where those houses and buildings are that should not be a big problem.

What really really sucks is they probably just threw the keys away since they have no real value but can I take that chance?

The credit cards are the least problem. Three phone calls and the cards are all cancelled.

They also got my cell phone.

Still trying to figure out what else they got.

At some point in the future I am gonna have to unlock some lock I do not use often (like my boat trailer spare tire)
    and find I do not have a key for it.
    Hopefully I can find the extras keys for my locks, I think I have spares for most of them.

I know I was dumb to leave my wallet in the car, but I did.

I hate living in a world where you can not leave your car at a fishing access and trust it will be safe.

I had to deal with that when I lived in Sac and fished the American river parkway, but here in the far north state
    this kinda thing used to be very very rare.

And I was happily living oblivious to these kinds of problems until today, probably living in a fools paradise, but I liked it there.

The Sheriffs office sent an officer out to examine the car and take a report, unlikely much will come of it, but they know and will keep an eye out for my stuff. I understand that in the larger cities the police don't even bother coming out when you have a simple car break in and theft. Deputy was nice enough not to point out I was an idiot for leaving that much stuff in my car.

P.S. fishing at the riffle was kinda slow, but it was a short day cause we left when we found the car problem at lunch.
    Got two fish on a 16 yellow skinny humpy and my fishing buddy got a few on a blowtorch euro-nymph

That sucks, I feel for you I got hit in my own driveway a couple of months ago but they did not get much, just some cheap sunglasses and my screen for my backup camera (I am guessing they thought it was a GPS). Weird thing was they left me some children's clothes? I was just up at PH2 last week and did not hear of any issues and have never had a problem up there but, I guess the thieves are everywhere nowadays. Most everybody knows everybody up there so there is a chance they get caught, I would keep an eye on Craigslist for your reels/fly boxes.

Did the deleted part of the post include a bait car, crossbow, and the theme from Deliverance?

Hi Steve, I feel your pain. I had an SUV broken into a while back and they took my Abel bag, probably thinking it was a camera bag.
    It had a bunch of full fly boxes, some reels, spare lines, and prescription sunglasses. They left two or three Sage rods that were next to it. They probably dumped it, and despite a lot of effort, I never found any of it. It took me years to get my fly boxes back in shape. I am still paranoid about leaving anything in my car, particularly at put-ins around the American, Yuba, or Lower Sac, where homeless people mill around. It is really sad.

Thanks for posting your rant. Hopefully it made you feel a little better and it reminded all of us that even in a place like PH2 we are still vulnerable to these people. The breakdown in society, evidenced by the lack of respect for others' property, really irritates me. It makes me think twice about where I park my vehicles. Joe Vasquez had his Sequoia and drift boat trailer taken from the take-out on the American a few years ago. My sons and I have all had vehicles broken into in the Bay Area, which is bad enough, but we don't expect it up your way.

Good luck piecing everything back together. You have my sympathy.

This has been going on forever.

One night while a bunch of us were fishing Shad at Rossmore Access a bunch of cars were broken into.

We always talked about waiting for them in the bushes.

The worst one ever was a couple that we know well had their SUV with trailer, and drift boat attached in front at home.

It was all loaded up and ready to go to Montana for a two week vacation.

In the morning it was all stolen, SUV, boat, trailer and all their gear...........$50,000?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hate to hear that. there are some spots I always feel safe, and Hat Creek II is one of them, no longer! What kind of douchebag would drive all the way down there to break into a car. I bet the powerhouse has security cameras and they might have some footage.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

There's a special place for people like that.

I worry about this too often when I go fishing/camping.

To this day I remember camping with my parents (40yrs ago) near Pollard Flat, and creeps broke into our cab over camper and stole my mother's purse and several other items.

Sorry to hear about this, hope they find out who did it and you get your things back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Hate to hear that. there are some spots I always feel safe, and Hat Creek II is one of them, no longer! What kind of douchebag would drive all the way down there to break into a car. I bet the powerhouse has security cameras and they might have some footage.
    Right.. I always feel safe at PH2. Seems like its only other fly fishers down there. And there's usually people coming and going or wadering up/hanging in the parking lot and people fishing the riffle only 60-100 yards away.

I guess my thought from what Ive seen stopping through Burney is that there might be a slight drug problem there and they figured out where the fisherman with the fancy gear like to leave their cars unattended..

Quote Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
    Right.. I always feel safe at PH2. Seems like its only other fly fishers down there. And there's usually people coming and going or wadering up/hanging in the parking lot and people fishing the riffle only 60-100 yards away.

I guess my thought from what Ive seen stopping through Burney is that there might be a slight drug problem there and they figured out where the fisherman with the fancy gear like to leave their cars unattended..
    A slight drug problem? Yes, a few years ago when we stayed in Burney (after a few post-fishing cocktails at a motel I won't name), we came up with pet names for the staff. Akin to the 7 Dwarves....Tweeky, Shifty, Shakey, Shady, etc. (can't recall the other 3 characters). Never had a break-in though. Mostly fish the Pit and never really thought about a break-ins there. But if they'll go down to PH2, they'll go anywhere. They got nothin' but time....

Sorry for your loss. That sucks. But most folks in Burney are quite pleasant, I must say. Bad apples everywhere.

I'm guessing that for years it was just fishermen going down there and a few years ago people started putting in there to float down to the park. That attracted a different element!
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.