Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aargh, I hate thieves

I had rods stolen at Posse Grounds on the Lower Sac, and tires slashed on Pit 3.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Very sorry to hear about you getting ripped off. I had never had my truck broken until last september on my first trip to the north umpqua. I had been wanting to fish that river for years, got up there in time for an evening session, next morning fished a beautiful famous old run by myself, cant remember the name of it, and walked up to my truck to find my windows smashed, ending the trip. Strangely all valuables were in the campershell, with barely functioning lock, and they didnt bother breaking into the shell. Thieves must have been startled and took off. Now im hyper paranoid about it and its a major pain having to worry about it. Not sure how it took so long for it to happen to me, so many times on the klamath and other rivers i walked up to my truck to see somebody else got ripped off. I guess having the shittiest truck on the river didnt hurt, now i have an 06 tacoma but looks newer.

Default Thanks and an update

Thanks all for the kind words and thoughts.

Still bummed but I am making progress on fixing the stuff that needs to be fixed.

Got new door knobs and deadbolts installed at the house today so I no longer have to
    worry about that.

Turns out I missed cancelling one bank card and the thieves put two charges on it at the Fall River Mills chevron the next morning at 4 and 5 AM, so there went another $100.00

Doing a charge dispute with Bank now so maybe I will get that money back.

Let sheriff know about the charges, I hope the Chevron has security Cams.

Sheriff says no cams at Hat PH2 that point at the parking lot.

I have generally been unhappy with the proliferation of Cams in our society in recent years
    but being a crime victim sure changes your prospective.

Take a lesson from me, Make a list of all the bank cards in your wallet and keep it in
    a safe place that you can access from the road.
    It will not do much good if it is at your house and your wallet is
    taken on a fishing trip.

Also a good idea to take everything out of your Wallet and take pics of it all, so you know what is in there.
    Great idea but hard to get motivated to do.

Don't explore much anymore, (just hit my normal spots, 2 different rivers same spot year after year) when I did and before I had a camper, I'd take my duffel bag and rods and hike about 100 feet from where I left my truck and hide my stuff in the bushes. Worked out good. Started doing it because my truck was broken into on a day trip to Putah Creek and I had nothing in it to take.

I sent you a PM.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

As far as a wallet and keys, put them in a watertight bag and keep them on you. Then no worries about theft and if your car gets stolen you have money to get back home/rent a car/get a hotel.

Default 2 more

So, just heard that two more cars were broken into at the Hat PH2 parking area
    Friday.

Sounds like the same kinda deal I experienced.
    They took duffel bags from the cars but not fishing rods.

Second hand story I heard suggested that the victims saw and talked to a suspect
    some time before the break in occurred.

I e-mailed the deputy that took my report about it and he replied:

"I did take two more reports of cars getting broke into last night down there.
    Neither victim told me they spoke with the possible suspect and they did not have vehicle
    descriptions. I did pull a finger print off of a vehicle that is possible the suspects.
    Only thing with that is it take about a year to get a return on a finger print for a
    property crime."

Anybody here in the board have a motion activated trail cam they are willing to lend to me
    for the summer?

I would try to place it somewhere with a shot of the parking area.

what is the usable range of a trail cam?

it would have to go on the far side of the parking area in the trees I think,
    not sure if it would be close enough for a good picture.

I use a trail cam that was 65$ (cam park) takes 8 AA battery’s and a sim card. Excellent day/ night view. Use it in our Estes park house for the wildlife there.
    Fortunately I don’t think it would really keep it from happening, or they will go after the purps. Heck they can’t control them at a store.

I fished the LT yesterday, which was my first mistake! There must have been 50 people in the meadow section. It looked like every guide in the Tahoe basin was out there with 2 clients! Fished the top section closest to Stampede and called it quits at lunchtime. When I got back to my car my gas was reading 25 miles left...which was weird because I had filled up in Truckee on the way there. Assholes syphoned my tank! $100 of gas.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.