Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do fly fishers still hike into streams and lakes anymore?

Yep I still do, but more so when home in Estes park. RMNP has kind of made it more of a pain with reservations. The park offers shuttles to.
    I do go into desolation here in Ca. My biggest problem here in Ca. is hiking alone.

No, they don't. Move along folks, nothing to see here.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

I used to do overnights and multiple days, now in my sixties it's usually day hikes or driving forest service roads and trying to avoid the steeper canyons. I have also found that since the big fires and increased homeless that many previosly accessible areas are now closed due to fear of falling trees and/or homeless deterrents such as no trespassing signs or no parking signs.

Quote Originally Posted by tcorfey View Post
    I used to do overnights and multiple days, now in my sixties it's usually day hikes or driving forest service roads and trying to avoid the steeper canyons. I have also found that since the big fires and increased homeless that many previously accessible areas are now closed due to fear of falling trees and/or homeless deterrents such as no trespassing signs or no parking signs.
    I'm in my mid-70's, but still hike in to remote areas (mostly in the Eastern Sierra or Trinity Alps). They are all day hikes for me, up to about 3 miles one way. I don't fly fish exclusively, but I love to hike into alpine lakes. I fish for about 4 hours, then hike out and do the same the next day. Like to do this for about 6 or 7 straight days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    No, they don't. Move along folks, nothing to see here.
    Hi Ed, When I posted this question I was thinking of you.

Ed is a Baby Boomer but his life has been more like the Great Generation.

Ed is one of the last of a dying breed.......the true American Outdoorsman.

Charlie Gonzales is another who has fished and hunted his entire life with his father and now with his son.

As we Baby Boomers have gotten older we have got away from wading rocky streams and big hikes.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........