Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do fly fishers still hike into streams and lakes anymore?

Default Do fly fishers still hike into streams and lakes anymore?

I was emailing with an old friend about the idea of hiking way into streams and lakes for trout.

That would include backpacking into the high country for trout.

We were wondering with all the changes going on in our society and technology do people still hike into streams and lakes?

What do you think?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

A few of us still do! Did a lot of backpacking in my 20’s, then got back into it in my late 40’s when my son was in Boy Scouts. A group of us Dads still try to do a 50 miler every year as we enter our 60’s, but I’m now mostly doing trips that get into trout waters, especially goldens. The challenge is that most of the group are backpackers, while I’m more a fisherman who backpacks. In other words, I like a layover day or two mixed in to fish, rather than 6 or 7 straight trail days.

It has gotten me into some spectacular country, and lots of stupid if mostly small fish. Very few people in the back country are fishing, and far fewer are very serious about it. You can end up with a lot of very fishy water all to yourself.

I definitely do. I do mostly dayhikes with my float tube stuffed in my backpacking pack. 5 miles is my maximum length for a dayhike. But there are lots of good fishing lakes within 3 miles, or even closer. Yes, there was a lot of research and trial and error involved finding lakes with bigger fish, but it was worth it. Rarely see anyone fishing either.

As for moving water, not so much anymore compared to when I was younger. Used to hike down into very remote canyons. But I found that the fishing, while great, wasn't worth the effort dropping 1500 feet in a 2 mile hike. Going down was fine, but coming back up has gotten a little rough. Now I just hike a couple miles upstream from roadside areas and fish back down. Again, through trial and error, I've narrowed my spots down to those that are consistent producers of bigger and more fish. Rarely see anyone.

~Jeff

Hell yes! Although nowadays, the hikes are more like day hikes only. The hardest one I have done was 1900’ vertical feet, 2 miles. It was a hell of a hike out. Mostly now, it is hiking mostly while fishing. I will usually put 3-4 miles in while working the river that I am fishing. As far as long hikes in to get to fishing, not much anymore.

I used to backpack a lot and fishing was a major reason. But once I did a horse trip into the Emigrant Wilderness a few years ago, that is where it's at for me. All the comforts of car camping 16 miles into the backcountry. With float tubes also. Highly recommended.

What outfitters have you used?

I love horse/mule packing into the high country.

They used to be about 12 pack stations in California.

Kennedy Meadow specializes in fly fishing.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    I was emailing with an old friend about the idea of hiking way into streams and lakes for trout.

That would include backpacking into the high country for trout.

We were wondering with all the changes going on in our society and technology do people still hike into streams and lakes?

What do you think?
    One of my favorite areas is the 20 Lakes Basin. A number of productive lakes with brook, rainbow, goldens with very minimal vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    What outfitters have you used?

I love horse/mule packing into the high country.

They used to be about 12 pack stations in California.

Kennedy Meadow specializes in fly fishing.
    We went out of Kennedy Meadows. It's 15 miles to Emigrant Lake. Takes about 6hrs on the horse. Lots of great lakes to do day hikes from Emigrant Lk.

Re: We were wondering with all the changes going on in our society and technology do people still hike into streams and lakes?
    What do you think?"

We're at the southwestern portal to Sequoia National Forest and the Kern. Most of the good stuff takes a hike, a horse or a 4X4. Some days you'd be stunned at the number of folks in the back country - quite a few are anglers.

Guy Jeans of the Kern River Fly Shop is the real deal.

He has lots of good videos.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958