Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Suggestions

Default Lake Suggestions

I'm planning on doing some stillwater fishing this weekend. I was planning on Jackson Meadows but roads are closed probably until late June. I was going to either fish Lake Davis or Crowley instead. The weather app says 50% scattered lighting storms at Crowley and I’ve never been to Davis. Did anyone fish Lake Davis this year? Unless the weather changes for Crowley, Lake Davis might be my destination. Any info would be much appreciated.

I'd also like to hear some updated info on Davis and Frenchman. Been a while since anyone posted anything about it.

Crowley would be interesting. It's gonna be a long trip to get over there from the Bay Area/NorCal since the southern mountain passes are no where close to being open but it you've got the time it could be fun.

If you do go the Hwy. 395 route then check out Convict Lake and the June Lakes Loop. I've seen recent videos of people fly fishing them and it could be good. The June Lakes kick out some huge fish on occasion. Twin Lakes near Bridgeport is open and supposed to be OK according to Ken's Sporting Goods in Bridgeport. No access to Virginia Lakes yet.

I looked around Eagle Lake a few weeks ago. It was very, very low especially at the north end. Pine Creek was raging but it's going to take a lot of water to bring it back up. The folks at the RV store said that the south end of Eagle had come up a bit. I used to like to go up there the weekend after the opener and generally had good luck. If you know how to fly fish Eagle (walking the shoreline or float tubing) it might be worth checking out and the campgrounds will probably be uncrowded.

It's too early for the Hex at Almanor but its got lots of fish nonetheless. You might find a cove or two that produces. The west-side campgrounds that I looked at a few weeks ago were closed and still had a lot of snow. Not sure what the campground situation is currently.
    Last edited by loose_shoes; 05-31-2023 at 11:04 AM.
    “Behind mountains, more mountains.” - Haitian proverb

Here's the report on Davis from the Sportmen's Den:

RATING - FAIR
    The lake has risen to 93 percent, and the launch ramps at Lightning Tree and Old Camp 5 are open, but Honker remains gated. Trout fishing is best from the banks near Mallard with Power Bait or nightcrawlers while mountain catfish are taken near Lightning Tree with the best bass action near Old Camp 5. Trolling is expected to be outstanding during the summer months with the high water levels.

Just chatted with veteran Nor Cal fly fishing guide and fly shop manager, Lincoln Gray, about our trout lakes.

He said Lake Almanor is just getting started - Lincoln and Lance Gray have a cabin on the lake.

They have Hex schools and guide on the lake.

He said Davis Lake was just starting too.

Lincoln said Eagle Lake is full and should be very good this year.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Great news about Eagle I didn’t think it would ever be full again! Love fishing around the tules in the north end of the lake.

Well here’s the update. Went to Lake Davis. Got there mid day Saturday. Lake was choppy. No shortage of bullheads in that lake. Saw one trout cruising the shallows but spooked it before I could even get my rod out (I was fishing in my kayak). All the boats were trolling in the middle of the lake. No grabs. Fished Sunday morning. Lake was GLASS. Fish rising everywhere. They were eating spent bugs. Body was tan and brown/orange. Wasn’t a midge or calibeatis. Never seen this bug before. They were gulping up these things like candy. Closest thing I had was a tan elk caddis. I couldn’t get close enough to make a cast. Those fish were spooky. Tried midge, balanced leeches, damsel flies, and some hares ear under an indicator. Nothing. Marked fish hugging the bottom about 15’ of water where it was coldest. Wind picked up at 11am and lake started to white cap. Dangerous in a kayak so it forced me off the water. Tense moment for sure. I found no weed beds. Maybe still to early due to the coldest spring we’ve had. I fished the north west part of the lake. I cut my losses and fished a lake close to Truckee. Had far better results there. Cut my time there too due to thunderstorms rolling in. I’d like to try Davis again maybe later this year. Try and check it off the list WHEN I catch a trout from there. Not in a hurry to go back though.
    Last edited by Rossflyguy; 06-05-2023 at 07:18 AM.

Historically the best time to fish Davis is during the damsel hatch. The fish are a little more reckless then and can be found in very shallow waters. I haven’t been out there in probably 7 years though.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    Historically the best time to fish Davis is during the damsel hatch. The fish are a little more reckless then and can be found in very shallow waters. I haven’t been out there in probably 7 years though.
    YEP... and that hatch will surely be a few weeks later this year with all the snow we got...

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post
    YEP... and that hatch will surely be a few weeks later this year with all the snow we got...
    Yea I can confirm that. The coldest spring we’ve ever had definitely pushed the damsel fly hatch further out.

Default Eagle Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Bkane View Post
    Great news about Eagle I didnÂ’t think it would ever be full again! Love fishing around the tules in the north end of the lake.
    Lincoln said Eagle Lake is full and should be very good this year.
    Not true. The lake isn't anywhere close to being full. It is about 6/7+ foot vertical rise away from full max capacity 1997, where you could cut through the mid basin (spaulding) to the south basin on the west side of pelican point and water was up to the airport access road. The lake barely came up 2 feet after this epic record heavy sierra snow winter. The marina cove harbor is still bone dry. The water isn't even up to the culvert pipe at the jetty.
    Last edited by FREEDOM-FLYFISHER; 08-01-2023 at 10:08 AM.