Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upper Sac: When will it become fishable?

Default Water Temp

Well Bill,
    as you likely know, water temp on Upper Sac varies a lot depending on how far
    downstream you are.
    Last night just south of town I did not take a temp
    but I would call it cold.

probably low 50's

gauge is showing mid to high 50's at the bottom.

We have a coupleof days of cold weather coming so it is probably going to get colder

Just looked at the Weather report A freeze warning in June? Crazy

Default it's time

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsource View Post
    …as flows drop.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Flows are still a little high but coming down nicely. high 400 to low 500 now.
    Evening dry fly is going really good.
    If you have been waiting on the Upper Sac to get into shape, stop waiting and start fishing..

Thanks, Steve! It just so turns out that I may be on that river over the next week!
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsource View Post
    Thanks, Steve! It just so turns out that I may be on that river over the next week!
    "Little high" was an attempt at humor, I believe. It's a lot high, wait until Delta gage is under 250 cfs.

Default Nope, I meant what i said.

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    "Little high" was an attempt at humor, I believe. It's a lot high, wait until Delta gage is under 250 cfs.
    I suppose it depends on your frame of reference. After months of flows in the 1,000 to 2,000 CFS range

400 to 500 looks pretty good.

And there are plenty of golden stones out right now and the fish are eating them.

Ya, wading will be easier at under 250, but the dry fly fishing may not be quite as good.

Fished the lower and middle river last Thursday. It was hot but fishing was good for 2 out of the 4 of us. First guy was fishing nymphs in the tail outs and on the shallows of the far bank. Mainly using a 20-incher. I caught several in mid-current slots and also along the far bank -- mainly on brown rubberlegs swung along the bottom. I hooked the biggest fish I've ever seen on a rubberlegs on the far bank of a slower/wider section of river. That same section also produced for the other guy. Water temp was mid/upper 60's, so since it was slow for the other two guys we moved up to mid-river. There, we saw tons (most in my life) of golden stones flying around the river, but they appeared to be laying eggs and not hatching. Also a decent number of yellow sallies and PMD's (or something similar). I switched to soft hackles (one orange & grouse, which always works, and one yellow greenwell to imitate the sallies/PMD's). I caught a bunch of dinks mainly on the yellow fly, which was fun and made me chuckle. Towards the end I landed a nice 16" guy on the orange & grouse. What a fight! Swinging soft hackles is always a fun (and often productive) way to end a brutal day of euro-nymphing.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river