Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McCloud - Any updates on the pending road closure at the Ad Di Na Turnoff?

Default McCloud - Any updates on the pending road closure at the Ad Di Na Turnoff?

Since folks here are in the know...

I had plans over the long weekend to backpack to Ad Di Na via the PCT, starting at the dam, and doing dispersed camping.

There has been discussion locally that PGE was planning to work on the Dam, and close access to all (cars + walkers) at the Ad Di Na turnoff.

I dont mind walking the extra 2 miles between that turnoff and the dam, but I hear differing reports on if anyone is allowed through. My contact at PGE told me No, but the shasta ranger district said they have yet to hear anything, and they think it starts in early June.

Has anyone been up there this week for first hand reports?

What else Ive heard:
    - Shasta ranger district told me yesterday they had a report that at least one person (via 4x4 truck and a chainsaw) did get to Ad Di Na, TBD on how bad the road is
    - No word on when Ad Di Na opens, perhaps by June 1st
    - my contact at PGE mentioned the work they plan on doing it an assessment of the spillway, given what happened at Orville a few years back. I didnt get if its an assessment or some construction or reinforcement of the spillway.

Don't have first hand info but this gets updated frequently. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/stnf/...telprdb5165648

Don't know what fishing (if any) will be like with the high flows. Couple days ago it was around 1200cfs. Looks like they're starting to drop them. Yesterday at the dam was 825cfs, and at Ah Di Nah was 925cfs.

It appears from recent satellite images that the snow is completely gone from the road. What kind of condition the road is in, whether it be down trees or washouts is a different story.. You might try calling THe Fly Shop, Kennedy Brothers, Wild Waters, or Ted Fay Fly shop and ask if any of their guides have made it down the road yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ah.PNG 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	19041

Looks like flows are on their way back down. but still might be 450-600 down at Ah di na

"NOTICE: Due to the increase in inflows from snow melt and a current maintenance outage occurring at James B. Black Powerhouse, PG&E will be initiating a spill at McCloud Dam. Flows downstream of McCloud Dam are approximately 420 cfs as measured at Ah-Di- Na (MC-1.) During the spill, flows are expected to rise to approximately 1,000- 1,200 cfs.

Update-5/17/23 The spill flows below McCloud Dam. In an effort to help minimize impacts, PG&E is working hard to reduce the scope of the current outage and reschedule a portion of the outage to a later date. With this, PG&E is hoping to have James B. Black Powerhouse (Powerhouse) back online by May 21, 2023.

Due to the high inflows, even with the Powerhouse back online, PG&E is still forecasting spill conditions in the lower McCloud. With the Powerhouse back online the spill magnitude will be smaller but still above the seasonal normal minimum instream flow release amount. PG&E is anticipating spill flows to be around 350-500 cfs pending inflows. This amount does not include tributary flows from Hawkins Creek.

As soon as inflows have reduced to a manageable amount, PG&E will exit the spill and flows will return to seasonal instream flow release amounts."

And then for the Hawkins creek road they posted this 2 days ago
    "The Hawkins Creek Rd. (11) just below the McCloud reservoir dam down to Ash Camp and Big Bend is currently being worked on by PG&E. While construction is occuring over the next weeks, the work site is under a hard closure, meaning closed to all vehicle AND pedestrian traffic. The only way to access Ash Camp and that section of the McCloud River will be via Iron Canyon Reservoir. The closure does NOT affect access to the McCloud Reservoir Boat launch facility, Ah-Di-Na Campground, The Nature Conservancy lands, and Star City Creek Campground."

Default Latest info I have heard

Here is a copy and paste of an email from the forest service dated 05/23/23 that is a press release put out by PG&E:

Start Paste:

Road Along and Near McCloud Reservoir to Close While PG&E Performs Road Maintenance and Spillway Evaluation

Ash Camp and Star City Creek campgrounds will not be open

McCLOUD, Calif.— Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) is performing road maintenance and spillway evaluations at the McCloud Reservoir, requiring some road closures starting June 1 through December 2023.

The U.S. Forest Service Road 38N11 will be closed to all traffic, including vehicles and pedestrians, from about 230 yards past the turnoff to the Ah-Di-Na Campground to Hawkins Creek Crossing about a mile past the Ash Camp Campground. The portion of this road south of the dam is also known as Hawkins Creek Road.

Pacific Crest Trail hikers can still access the roads but should be cautious of construction vehicles and equipment. PG&E will be performing brush clearing, ditching cleaning and minor patch paving starting May 24.

The Ash Camp and Star City Creek campgrounds will not be open during this time.

The road closure does not affect access to the McCloud Reservoir boat launch at Tarantula Gulch, Ah-Di-Na Campground or the Nature Conservancy lands.

The road is located within the Shasta-Trinity National Forest.

End-Paste

One thing to note is that apparently you will not be able to get to Ash Camp by driving in from Big Bend as I thought because they are gonna close the road on the far side of Ash Camp in addition to the closure at the turn off to AH-DI-NA.

Also as was mentioned I heard someone with a chain saw opened up access to AH-DI-NA, but not access to the Conservancy parking lot. That is third hand info so take it for what it is worth. I was told there was another big rock in the road between AH-DI-NA and the conservancy.
    Last edited by StevenB; 05-24-2023 at 05:10 PM. Reason: added info on road to AH-DI-NA

Quote Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
    Here is a copy and paste of an email from the forest service dated 05/23/23 that is a press release put out by PG&E:

Start Paste:

Road Along and Near McCloud Reservoir to Close While PG&E Performs Road Maintenance and Spillway Evaluation

Ash Camp and Star City Creek campgrounds will not be open

McCLOUD, Calif.— Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) is performing road maintenance and spillway evaluations at the McCloud Reservoir, requiring some road closures starting June 1 through December 2023.

The U.S. Forest Service Road 38N11 will be closed to all traffic, including vehicles and pedestrians, from about 230 yards past the turnoff to the Ah-Di-Na Campground to Hawkins Creek Crossing about a mile past the Ash Camp Campground. The portion of this road south of the dam is also known as Hawkins Creek Road.

Pacific Crest Trail hikers can still access the roads but should be cautious of construction vehicles and equipment. PG&E will be performing brush clearing, ditching cleaning and minor patch paving starting May 24.

The Ash Camp and Star City Creek campgrounds will not be open during this time.

The road closure does not affect access to the McCloud Reservoir boat launch at Tarantula Gulch, Ah-Di-Na Campground or the Nature Conservancy lands.

The road is located within the Shasta-Trinity National Forest.

End-Paste

One thing to note is that apparently you will not be able to get to Ash Camp by driving in from Big Bend as I thought because they are gonna close the road on the far side of Ash Camp in addition to the closure at the turn off to AH-DI-NA.

Also as was mentioned I heard someone with a chain saw opened up access to AH-DI-NA, but not access to the Conservancy parking lot. That is third hand info so take it for what it is worth. I was told there was another big rock in the road between AH-DI-NA and the conservancy.
    Steve, thanks again for this updated information.

We were planning a trip to McCloud and driving in from Big Bend next month. Is there a way to sign up for updates about this from PGE?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Timbers View Post

We were planning a trip to McCloud and driving in from Big Bend next month. Is there a way to sign up for updates about this from PGE?

Thanks
    I was the original poster and have some more information.

I believe the road closure for the ad di na turnoff will happen in early june, not this week, but no specific day has been set - Ive heard June 1st.

When I talked to the PGE (contact I got through the forest service) - I was told when then construction occurs, they will block access from iron canyon res as well, around where hawkins creeks goes under the road.

Whatever they do, they would announce it through local channels (facebook, nextdoor, prob PGE currents https://www.pgecurrents.com/ shortly before they do it.

The water should be higher than normal, but Im just happy be able to backpack down to ad di na and get out someplace thats snow free...

Quote Originally Posted by Timbers View Post

Thanks
    Not that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutty View Post
    I was the original poster and have some more information.

I believe the road closure for the ad di na turnoff will happen in early june, not this week, but no specific day has been set - Ive heard June 1st.

When I talked to the PGE (contact I got through the forest service) - I was told when then construction occurs, they will block access from iron canyon res as well, around where hawkins creeks goes under the road.

Whatever they do, they would announce it through local channels (facebook, nextdoor, prob PGE currents https://www.pgecurrents.com/ shortly before they do it.

The water should be higher than normal, but Im just happy be able to backpack down to ad di na and get out someplace thats snow free...
    Thanks for this info, I appreciate it.

Hope you have a great trip.

According to the 6/1 Fly Shop stream report getting to Ah-DI-Na and Nature Conservancy is "now possible".

Quote Originally Posted by JohnChung View Post
    According to the 6/1 Fly Shop stream report getting to Ah-DI-Na and Nature Conservancy is "now possible".
    And it looks like flows are going back to normal. 218 at the dam. 311 at ah di na. still a bit high, but definitely fishable.

Turbidity is still a bit high @5-6 ntu.. (1-3 is normal)