Thread: Carpe Diem

Default Carpe Diem

Today was carp day. The bass have stopped pulling the bobber down so we made a trip to find some feeding carp that could be caught. We found a bunch of carp but mostly they were uncatchable which is what most carp are. Typically carp you see are either cruising, floating around or feeding in weeds or some other spot you can't get a fly to. All of those are uncatchable unless you are bowfishing. You pretty much need to find one poking around in the mud in shallow water searching for food and land a fly on the bottom within 6 inches of his nose. Even if you are successful in doing that they usually spook or just ignore your fly and don't bite. It can be humbling but if you get enough shots you have a chance to connect. We tried casting from the boat but they could see us easily and would not bite. Walking the shorline was your best chance of getting a fly in front of one without spooking it. They are abundant but the trick is finding the catchable fish. We each got a couple of carp and some good bass that were lurking around schools of threadfin shad. Pretty fun day.

Carp fishing is a long way from trout on dry flies in the mountains and I expect not too many people here care about it but I will post anyway.

I threw in a couple of birds got I got recently. The lesser gold finch and the ash throated flycatcher.

I’ll be trying carp this year in my kayak. I’ve already gotten within 10’ of some carp before spooking them with my kayak. Looks like a good time.

Nice fish and fantastic bird photo's
    Jay Murakoshi

Jay - I caught four bass on this trip on the baitfish fly you sent me. They have been chasing schools of threadfin shad that are balled up to spawn so I trimmed it down the the size of the shad I was seeing. It looked like a great imitation and they bit it. Thanks for sending those.
    Last edited by John H; 05-23-2023 at 09:43 PM.

Folsom?

NK

Quote Originally Posted by Natekursow View Post
    Folsom?

NK
    Looks like Camanche, north shore. I catch carp at Camanche almost on a regular basis.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Maybe we need a "Carp on a Fly" category?

They are fished all over America now with flies.

I have even heard of some guides having flats boats.

If most of us are "catch-n-release" why not.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Looks like those Carp would straighten the leader...

Great bird shots as usual!

Hi Bill,Carp are currently enjoying a bit of a purple patch over here in Australia with some of the salt water fly fishing fraternity.They're using cheap light Chinese made rods & lines from the likes of Maxcatch.Carp aren't allowed to be returned to the water by law here in some States as they're regarded as a "Class 3 noxious species" and in fact are one of the worst pest species introduced here, to our eternal shame and to the detriment of our waterways and the native fish.