Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shad_shad_shad

Default Shad_shad_shad

Hey guys,

The fellows at the local fly shop were screaming for SHAD flies today when I went in, They claim there are SHAD in at The Russian River. After looking at all the empty bins at the fly shop somebody is having a good time, Just thought I would spread the word

Carl

Carl, thanks.............what shop is over there?

Would be fun to catch Shad in as many rivers as possible.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Carl, thanks.............what shop is over there?

Would be fun to catch Shad in as many rivers as possible.
    Outdoor pro in Ronert park

In 2hr 15 min last night, the flows went from 12,600 cfs to 15,600 cfs. It's gonna be a long time before there's any wading for shad. I'm ticked...I started fishing the AR last year at the end of shad season. I spent a year exploring the river, anticipating this shad season and now it looks like I'm not going to get much of a chance to fish for them. Oh well I had a good time exploring the river and fishing all it's access points. Maybe next year the flows will be reasonable and I'll get my shad then!

Johns, I think lots of people feel like you do--after all it's fishing-my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
    In 2hr 15 min last night, the flows went from 12,600 cfs to 15,600 cfs. It's gonna be a long time before there's any wading for shad. I'm ticked...I started fishing the AR last year at the end of shad season. I spent a year exploring the river, anticipating this shad season and now it looks like I'm not going to get much of a chance to fish for them. Oh well I had a good time exploring the river and fishing all it's access points. Maybe next year the flows will be reasonable and I'll get my shad then!
    There is always soft enough water somewhere... you just need to scout new spots. I don't shad fish but I've been catching quite a few striped bass for the last month and 90% have been caught in places I would never fish at flows under 5,000 cfs.

I fished the lower Russian today Guerneville to the mouth, morning until dark. It was very slow but did manage one fish. Other people I spoke to were about the same. There are fish there but they are not abundant. Flows are much easier to wade than the Central Valley rivers around Sac that's for sure.

Tcorfey

One of my favorite spots was to fish right in town at Johnson's beach right in front of the refreshment stand, cast right into the willows let it hang after the swing then retrieve as fast as you can, that really worked good for me. I did write an story in California fly fisherman about 20 years ago. Carl Blackledge

Hanging from the willows, sounds like a country song

Steelies I tried sending you a message but the system said your box was full and couldn't accept any more IMs