Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Governor Newsom Announces Agreement to Reopen Yuba River to Salmon

Default Governor Newsom Announces Agreement to Reopen Yuba River to Salmon

I thought this was interesting.

https://www.gov.ca.gov/2023/05/16/go...r-restoration/

Published: May 16, 2023

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: Local, state and federal officials announced an agreement to restore the Yuba River and reopen the waterway to salmon and sturgeon for the first time in more than 100 years.

YUBA RIVER – At the launch of one of the most ambitious watershed recovery efforts in California, Governor Gavin Newsom today joined state, federal and local officials to announce a landmark framework agreement that will reopen miles of habitat to multiple native fish species. The agreement sets the stage for the return of imperiled spring-run Chinook salmon to their native habitat in the North Yuba River for the first time in more than 100 years.
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/

That fish passage at Daguerre is very cool. But how are they getting the fish past Englebright and Bullards Bar?

Default how are they getting the fish past Englebright and Bullards Bar?

They are not. refer to article it says:

" access for fish to the full reach of the Yuba River from the confluence with the Feather River up to Englebright Dam"

That bit about access to North Yuba is probably an inaccuracy in the news report.

"Full reach" might be a bit of a stretch also.

I don't really understand the change - salmon presently can swim up the Yuba from Feather river to Englebright. Is the present Daguerre fish ladder only used by salmon and steelhead? Will the new fish channel allow ALL species (I think it will), including stripers? Stripers are bad for a trout fishery, right?

Quote Originally Posted by peterkoistinen View Post
    I don't really understand the change - salmon presently can swim up the Yuba from Feather river to Englebright. Is the present Daguerre fish ladder only used by salmon and steelhead? Will the new fish channel allow ALL species (I think it will), including stripers? Stripers are bad for a trout fishery, right?
    So Gavin Newsom announced something that’s already happening? Seems about right. He needs every bit of “claim” for salmon revival to run for president. Better get your striper rods out for the Lower Yuba.
    Last edited by Rossflyguy; 05-19-2023 at 10:05 AM.

Or your spear gun!
    ....lee s.

I think the ladder or bypass would only help fish that can’t jump. Shad striped bass sucker pike. Not sure what the point is.
    Maybe a diversion for votes to the tunnels that would not be good.

As I understand it the current fish ladders are considered inadequate for fish passage.
    Also Green Sturgeon are on the threatened species list and they can not (or do not) use the
    fish ladders.

Here is another article with info about this issue:

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ong-yuba-river

Default South Yuba River Citizen's League (SYRCL) Take on This

After reading the other articles this bypass is only a stunt. They aren’t going to trap and haul salmon above Bullards dam. They’ll just build a by pass to say they’re trying. Might as well take the dam down at that point. One major water year and that bypass is wiped out or full of rucks and logs.