Thread: Nick repair on a Sage RPL 5 wt

Default Nick repair on a Sage RPL 5 wt

I have had this rod for a very long time. I recently discovered that there is a nick in the rod just below the rod tip. I don't know when this occurred, but I feel that I should get it repaired before disaster strikes on the stream. So, any suggestion on how to repair this damage. I did check with Sage and they said I would have to get a replacement rod for $295 since I am registered. This is without them seeing the damage. Anyway, I cannot shell out that kind of money. I like everyone else here, have other rods to use in the meantime.
    Thanks for any help,
    John
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sage nick2.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	19027

Depends on how far from the tip top, If it's really close, just cut the tip top off and install a new one a little lower, that's the easy way, the other way is to install a tiny drop of super glue with a tooth pick- my cents

Carl Blackledge

That nic looks as if it may have been repaired once before unsuccessfully by whoever? That's a pretty rough finish behind the nic and I don't think any competent repair shop would have left it like that.
    Just my thoughts.
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Yeah there’s a lot going on there. If the nick is into the scrim there is nothing that can be done. Carl’s advice to cut it back and add a new tip top is about the only option. If the graphite is nicked, the rod will fail eventually.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

I see no reason to not epoxy in a custom insert and apply a rod wrap to the outside before failure. I have several rods still functioning with such "repairs".
    .....lee s.
    P.S. They look far better than that too.

Don't bother with epoxy, if there's damage from a strike as with a weighted fly, it is internal and won't manifest other than a sudden break. Either fish it as is or pay for replacement. I had a rod do this...sent it in, Sage did all sorts of tests, imaging, and determined it was a strike. They rolled a blank section, fixed it, and waived the repair and shipping charge.

Thanks, Carl.

I think that I'll follow your suggestion. I think that the best thing to do is purchase the replacement. I guess one gets an equivalent type rod, albeit newer materials and the Sage guarantee.
    Thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JWilli View Post
    I have had this rod for a very long time. I recently discovered that there is a nick in the rod just below the rod tip. I don't know when this occurred, but I feel that I should get it repaired before disaster strikes on the stream. So, any suggestion on how to repair this damage. I did check with Sage and they said I would have to get a replacement rod for $295 since I am registered. This is without them seeing the damage. Anyway, I cannot shell out that kind of money. I like everyone else here, have other rods to use in the meantime.
    Thanks for any help,
    John
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sage nick2.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	19027
    A friend of mine who is a certified rod builder for Gary Loomis, suggested the following:

"To me, that doesn't look like it's near the tip. It also looks like rod finish that was overheated, rather than a nick."