Thread: Thinning The Bucktail Herd

Default Thinning The Bucktail Herd

Thinning the herd and selling these bucktails. One lot of 12.

4 ea. - White
    2 ea. - Black
    1 ea. - Dark Blue
    1 ea. - Tan
    1 ea. - Olive
    1 ea. - Purple
    1 ea. - Yellow
    1 ea. - Fl. Cerise

$60.00 w/ pickup in Sacramento
    plus $12.50, if shipping to CONUS

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_15281.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	19023

funny, I was just going through my collection of buck tails and was thinking the same thing. Just gotta figure out if I want to part with them. I have around 125 white, 25 olive 25 tan, 20 black, etc, etc. At one time I had 5,000 white buck tails. I use to deal with three taxidermist who were Michigan and MN. But they have both passed away. I was buying them for 50 cents each, deboned. They had a real bad odor, so UPS made sure I was the first delivery in the morning. I also purchased a bunch from Dave Inks when he was part owner of Creative Sports in Walnut Creek. They were premium tails
    Jay Murakoshi

I thinned my also. I donate all mine to the healing waters group in Redding. I only use white and gray now and when I do, I tie enough flies that I don't have any materials leftover. The group loves it. My two cents.
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterHunter View Post
    funny, I was just going through my collection of buck tails and was thinking the same thing. Just gotta figure out if I want to part with them. I have around 125 white, 25 olive 25 tan, 20 black, etc, etc. At one time I had 5,000 white buck tails. I use to deal with three taxidermist who were Michigan and MN. But they have both passed away. I was buying them for 50 cents each, deboned. They had a real bad odor, so UPS made sure I was the first delivery in the morning. I also purchased a bunch from Dave Inks when he was part owner of Creative Sports in Walnut Creek. They were premium tails
    I remember sitting with you at the Sac Show one year and you had a big box full of white bucktails - probably several hundred tails in that one box. You were almost begging tiers to take some off your hands. I took a half dozen off your hands.

A few years back. I wish I could run across another 5,000. I talked to a couple of these big outfitters and taxidermist at the shows and told them what I'm looking for. One guy from Rocky Mountain Elk gave me a taxidermists name and I talked with him. He said they throw away thousdands of buck tails a year. He asked what I use them for and he seemed like he could get me some tails. He mentioned that they would probably charge me !.00 each or it I wanted them deboned $1.10. He asked how many I would take and when I told him I would do 5,000 or whatever he could provide he kinda hesitated. then he said he would have to contact a couple other taxidermists to get that many. That's the last I ever heard from him. I still have his card and call him buy no answer
    One of these days
    Jay Murakoshi

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

I'd be surprised if taxidermist processed that many deer a year. But a deer processor, who butchers deer for the meat, would certainly see a ton of bucktails.