I have fished Hat Creek for a few decades now and have grown to love it, especially the flats (Iron Bridge). Part of loving it is the fact I caught my largest trout there 7 or 8 years ago, but mostly it is because of both the beauty of the clear water and the fish seem like they know I am there so there is a "head game" we play. Some days have been a great success and some have been a greater success...for the fish.

I have, only a few times, bothered with the Powerhouse as I am not much of one for crowded fishing spots. To me it is the punchline to a bad joke, but I do see the appeal as lots of fish to be caught in an easily accessible area. Just not my cup o' tea.

One rather idyllic afternoon, stopping with a friend on our way home for a tango festival, I even fished the "Park" right next to 299 and it was fun. Catching a few smallish fish that seemed pretty wary.

But the mystery to me of Hat is the area below the park. That part you drive to off 299 on the dirt road, down to the flats. I have fished it 5, maybe 6 times and catching a fish there eludes me. I have walked it all from the parking area to the weir. Fished it from the bottom to top. Dries, nymphs, big bugs, tiny things, every color and shape. Morning, noon and evening. I think (this may be my mind playing tricks to keep myself sane) I may have had one strike, just above the weir. Baffling to me.

Interestingly I have seen only one or two others in that stretch over the 30+ hours I have fished it. Maybe I am not getting the message...?

Is there a mystery to be solved?

Had any luck there? (I do not want your secrets...just the knowledge there are fish and they can be caught)

That is my musing for the morning.