One of my good friends and fly fishing buddies, and I, both retired on March 31st. We decided a year ago that we would do a 3 week bucket list fly fishing trip to Western Wyoming. It will be almost all wade fishing, with floats on the Green, New Fork and the Bighorn thrown in.

We initially were going to rent a B class campervan in the middle of June and do it that way. We decided to turn it into a car camping trip instead so we would not be tied into specific pick-up, and more importantly, return dates on the rented camper van. I mean, if the fishing is off the hook somewhere, we want to stay an extra couple of days to fish, not racing to return the rental.

I can tell you, with the original plan, I think we would have been driving through Western Wyoming with a scenic turn of high water run-off in full force, with a few days of fishing tailwaters thrown in. We opted to go the maximum flexibility package on this trip, and it looks like it is already paying off. We plan on entering Wyoming in the lower part of the state and begin fishing in the La Barge drainage and then fish our way up to the Shoshone drainage at the top of the state, and head back out that way.

It will certainly be a good water year for the trip. We are planning on leaving in late June with the big snowfall year.

Bob