Thread: 7’/8’ Walton Powell companion rod for sale

Default 7’/8’ Walton Powell companion rod - SOLD

Up for sale is a Walton Powell Companion rod. It’s a 2 butt/3 tip rod Walt probably called “The Presidential” at the time this was made. He later built a similar series he called “The Ultimate”. All parts serial numbered 1-84-120.

The butts measure 49” and 37 1/4”. The tips are all identical and measure 49”. It’s pretty much a 7’1”/8’1” companion. Rod weighs 4.4oz with the longer butt and 3.75oz with the shorter one. Nice oil finish rod. Ferrules are Walt’s drawn NS reverse step down - size 14. I lawn cast the rod - Walt would have sold it as a 3-4-5wt.

Rod is in near mint/unused condition. Everything is straight and ferrule fit is perfect. Original tube and correct two butt companion sock. Just a superb rod here. Some of Walt’s finest work.

Rod has been SOLD

Last edited by Rich Morrison; 05-13-2023 at 06:12 PM.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

wow- what a beauty!

queue drooling on my part here.

I had the same rod... One year at the ISE Fly Fishing show held in San Mateo, I was talking to Walt about that rod and he said " I make you a deal". I will "give" you this rod right now BUT I want you to tie me up 100 doz flies. I'm trying to remember what the fly was but it had brown hackle and peacock, kinda looked like a renegade. I kept it for years before I sold it to a collector from NY.
    Jay Murakoshi

Great story Jay! Probably a Reggie or a Clyde. Maybe a Buzz Hackle. They were all Renegade-ish.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    605-858-0800
    www.classicpowellrod.com

Default Fly

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterHunter View Post
    I had the same rod... One year at the ISE Fly Fishing show held in San Mateo, I was talking to Walt about that rod and he said " I make you a deal". I will "give" you this rod right now BUT I want you to tie me up 100 doz flies. I'm trying to remember what the fly was but it had brown hackle and peacock, kinda looked like a renegade. I kept it for years before I sold it to a collector from NY.
    It was the Cylde Fly. Great fly that still fishes.

I have one of these rods also.

That reminds me - I need to start selling shit!!
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Price lowered to $1450.

Rich Morrison
    605-858-0800
    www.classicpowellrod.com