Thread: Lower Sac Pulse Flows

Default Lower Sac Pulse Flows

Anyone planning on fishing the Lower Sac should be aware that the Bureau of Reclamation is doing pulse releases from Shasta Dam.

https://www.usbr.gov/newsroom/news-release/4494

I had a trip planned for Monday and had to cancel at the last minute when the flows went from 4,500 to 9,000 CFS.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Saw 10 trailers at Bonnyview when I went to CostCo this morning. The guides are still pounding it.

My son and I fished there over the weekend with flows ~4500, up from 3150 April 21. Water was off-color, but viz was still 4ft or so. The pulse-flows could dump mud into the river from the lake or previously dry banks, and changing flows often puts the fish off for a few days. Higher water will spread the fish so they are not all seeing the same bugs from the parade of drift boats.

The river was at 8500 when I crossed it yesterday. About as clear as it was at 4500, and just as many guides boats as usual. It looked very fishable. Unfortunately, I won't get the chance to fish it until next week, but guides I know are doing just as well at 8500 as they were at 4500, meaning pretty good.
    Last edited by WLREDBAND; 04-27-2023 at 06:41 AM.

The flows were bumped to 10K CFS today

So these are pulse flows to help flush the juvenile salmon downriver, except water users can suck up as much of the flows as they want? Interesting.

I was a day ahead of myself flows went up to 10 today (4/30). The river is at 13k at the Bend Bridge and yesterday afternoon it was muddy color, Cottonwood Creek was flowing very muddy water