Thread: Yuba Flows / Drift Boat

Default Yuba Flows / Drift Boat

I just bought a drift boat (Boulder Boat Works River Skiff) and would like to use it on the Yuba. It'll be my first boat, and I've only commanded a drift boat once before. Therefore, I plan to get some lake practice before taking it on a river.

Any ideas on what would be a safe flow to drift the lower Yuba below 20, and when that might occur during this high water year? It looks like people are doing it now. But is it worth it at this flow? Is there an ideal flow for floating?

Any thoughts on flows and floating the Yube would be great.

Thanks.

PS I've fished it many times wading, but never floating.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsource View Post
    I just bought a drift boat (Boulder Boat Works River Skiff) and would like to use it on the Yuba. It'll be my first boat, and I've only commanded a drift boat once before. Therefore, I plan to get some lake practice before taking it on a river.

Any ideas on what would be a safe flow to drift the lower Yuba below 20, and when that might occur during this high water year? It looks like people are doing it now. But is it worth it at this flow? Is there an ideal flow for floating?

Any thoughts on flows and floating the Yube would be great.

Thanks.

PS I've fished it many times wading, but never floating.

I’d think it’d be safer now than in the lower flows. The rapids and boulders are deeper under water. You’d just have to row the softer in the soft water. I’m sure a guide could help you. Call one if one doesn’t reply. Most guides are pretty cool about keeping people safe in the rivers they float.

To the above, Tom Page would be a good person to contact about a rowing lesson combined with a fishing trip. He runs the shop in Grass Valley. Let a pro row the takeout. If you miss it at this flow you’re in for a headache.

Overall I prefer the low flows for wading but I bet the fishing is real good out of a boat at these higher flows.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    To the above, Tom Page would be a good person to contact about a rowing lesson combined with a fishing trip. He runs the shop in Grass Valley. Let a pro row the takeout. If you miss it at this flow you’re in for a headache.

Overall I prefer the low flows for wading but I bet the fishing is real good out of a boat at these higher flows.

I didn’t even think about the takeout. The takeout for the yuba is something you don’t make an error on. When I first rowed the Yuba in my drift boat I walked it the last 20 yards to the take out point so I wouldn’t miss it. Familiarity is the name of the game for towing rivers in general.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to start on the American to get your feet wet depending on where you live.
    Last edited by Spicytuna1; 05-02-2023 at 11:46 AM.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I do plan to start on the Lower American and possibly hire a guide there and on the Yuba first before doing it myself. I floated the Yuba on one-man pontoon boats once, and remember almost missing the take-out.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Been guiding it here in there but haven't touched it since it hit over 7k, but floated it between 5000 and 6500cfs.
    Fishing has been good, but they have been more on the selective side of bugs which is a bit weird.
    Fish are on the skinny side, to be expected with the huge flows and lack of bugs on the rocks.
    Been seeing what I call high flow spring stones that I only seen when flows are high and only in the spring.
    Fish are in the spots you'd expect with very high water. Soft seems, soft edges and drop offs.
    I wouldn't say rowing is difficult at these flows but the river is moving/very pushy and it doesn't take much to get in trouble.
    We are now seeing the snowmelt flows and slowly rising each and every day and I will be focusing my efforts on the Lower Sac and once the shad show up on the Lower Lower Yuba.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Sent you a PM. Willing to trade boat rides for rowing lessons.

Thanks, Brian, for the intel.

Charlie, I PM'd you.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river