Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made it to Ash Camp today (almost)

Default Made it to Ash Camp today (almost)

Barrier is still there as I had heard. No other indications of road closures.

2-3 FT of snow on the ground up at 4,000 ft. Almost none at river level.

Short day on the water, about 3 hours this afternoon, did not walk all the way to Ash Camp, stopped at MC7.

Weather was nice, water was gorgeous, fishing was slow.

I had two grabs and landed one small fish (9 inches or so) on a S&M.
    My fishing buddy had three grabs and landed two, one about 12" and the other a nice 14" ish.

Nice but light size18 BWO (?) hatch coming off for a couple of hours, did not see any fish rising.

Lots of rocks on the road around the lake as usual in the spring. nothing real big and nothing you could not drive around.
    But drive slowish so you have time to see them around the tight turns.

Speaking of Rocks, there were two pretty big rocks on the road to Ash Camp after the barrier, no big deal since you can not drive there anyway what with the barrier in the way,
    I did not walk down to the rocks to check them out (maybe next time I go over there)
    but it looked a little sketchy for driving past them.

Just thinking if you can from the Pit side and then tried to drive the MC7 access I am not sure you could.

But it is a short walk, and besides you should go up the river not the road.
    Just stay on the road side, I once tried to go up river on the trail side from the PCT bridge (west side). Swore I would never do that again. Cliffs and more cliffs that are next to water too deep to wade around, traversing a rock face with your rod in your teeth cause you need both hands to hold on to the rock, is not real fun.

Ya, I know there are much better ways to carry your rod hands free than biting on it,
    that is what that loop of material at the bottom of your vest is for. But its my story and I'm gonna tell it like I want

Anybody thinking about heading up this week-end?

Give me a call if you have any questions.

edit:
    Added a couple of photos, Ya, I know that bug photo is poor but it is the best one I got.
    Not very color accurate either, bug looks mostly brown in the photo but it had a lot of olive.
    Then again your average store bought BWO pattern is gonna be too Olive, lotta brown/tan in there.
    I said a BWO but I got my doubts, anybody got other ideas?

Looks like they gunited the hill to hold it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1683.800600.JPG 
Views:	259 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	18963   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1685.800600.JPG 
Views:	240 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	18964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1686.800600.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	18965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1689.800600.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	18966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1691.800600.JPG 
Views:	209 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	18967  

Last edited by StevenB; 04-20-2023 at 09:04 PM. Reason: add pics

Hi Steven,
    Random question: Any chance you saw a book on the ground by the parking area? I was down there with my boy yesterday and he might have left it there. I know it's a long shot...

Hi Steven,
    Random question: Any chance you saw a book on the ground by the parking area? I was down there with my boy yesterday and he might have left it there. I know it's a long shot...

Sorry, no, did not see it

Steve,

I appreciate these updates that you've given us here.

Was hoping to fish and camp at Ash Camp next month, obviously not heading in from the dam. Been really missing this place.

No pics of the water?

Thanks again.

Default water pics

Nope, no water pics, barely got the shots I did, forgot to charge up the camera so it died quickly.
    Same reason pic of bug was so poor. Camera kept shutting off cause of low battery

Anybody make it down to Ah Di Na this weekend? I understand there are still a few snow drifts on the north-facing ridge road...but figured some brave soul might have gone for it..?

well i found my answer.. still snowbound.. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ah.PNG 
Views:	143 
Size:	666.8 KB 
ID:	19000

When is it usually navigable?
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsource View Post
    When is it usually navigable?
    Troutsource:
    Usually access to Ah-Di-Na is OK by the traditional opener (last Saturday in April). This is the first time that I can recall that the road was blocked by snow this late in the spring.

Interesting side note:

Heard a story that someone was at Ash Camp with a backpack intending to hike the PCT into Ah-Di-Na, story says he did not make it, came back to Ash Camp after a couple of hours.
    Snow was too deep to get through ?

Sounds like he needed snowshoes.

Also heard the Nature Conservancy has been calling folks with reservations on the property to let them know that it is not yet accessible.