Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sage GFL 5 Weight

Default Sage GFL 5 Weight

For sale a Sage GFL 9 foot 5 weight 2 piece rod, comes with aluminum tube and rod sock. The condition on this rod is good and I will provide pictures upon request. Asking NEW Price $200.00 plus shipping and insurance.
    Last edited by NCL; 06-05-2023 at 08:08 AM.

That is a nice softer action older fly rod.

Sounds a little high?

Make him an offer.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill.
    There is an identical rod on Ebay at $500.00 so I actually came done.

Quote Originally Posted by NCL View Post
    Bill.
    You may want to filter your ebay search to sold listings to get a more realistic idea of price.

The Sage GFL rods were built from 1980 to 1885 so this rod is at least 38 years old.

Best of luck.......you just need the right person to see this.

I lived through everything that happened in the fly fishing marketplace for over 50 years.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill.
    With all do respect, that rod is realistically $220ish if you want to actually move it. If you GFL was a LL model I could see it come close to your asking price. People can price out whatever they want on eBay. Most items sit because price isn’t realistic. Sage Ones, Sage TCX, Sage X are all going for $400-500. The GFL isn’t a popular model. I’ve bought and sold lots and lots of rod and reels. But hey, if you can get $500 for it get your money bud.
    Last edited by Rossflyguy; 04-16-2023 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    With all do respect, that rod is realistically $220ish if you want to actually move it. If you GFL was a LL model I could see it come close to your asking price. People can price out whatever they want on eBay. Most items sit because price isn’t realistic. Sage Ones, Sage TCX, Sage X are all going for $400-500. The GFL isn’t a popular model. I’ve bought and sold lots and lots of rod and reels. But hey, if you can get $500 for it get your money bud.
    When I checked on Ebay the asking price for the Sage GFL in the 5 and 6 weight class was between $375 to $650, with an identical rod at $499, with the heavier weight rods in the $200 range. Since I needed a starting price point and it appears the after market on this rod is in the $300 to $600 range I put the rod on the lower end with the added caveat of Best Offer. The bottom line is if you are interested in the rod make an offer.

I appreciate you are trying to be helpful but if you have dabbled in the after market you know that popularity of rod prices ebb and flow and the prices constantly change either up or down. I guess my question to you would be if this rod in only worth $220 then why are people on Ebay asking about double that amount? What do they know about this rod that makes the price so much higher?
    Last edited by NCL; 04-17-2023 at 07:16 AM.

When I checked on Ebay the asking price for the Sage GFL in the 5 and 6 weight class was between $375 to $650, with an identical rod at $499, with the heavier weight rods in the $200 range. Since I needed a starting price point and it appears the after market on this rod is in the $300 to $600 range I put the rod on the lower end with the added caveat of Best Offer. The bottom line is if you are interested in the rod make an offer.

I appreciate you are trying to be helpful but if you have dabbled in the after market you know that popularity of rod prices ebb and flow and the prices constantly change either up or down. I guess my question to you would be if this rod in only worth $220 then why are people on Ebay asking about double that amount? What do they know about this rod that makes the price so much higher?
    You can ask whatever you feel its value is. If it’s a pristine early GFL that’s a 4wt or a 5wt 8’ rod I have seen them sell for $320ish. If it’s a LL it’s gonna up the value. The rods you referred to on eBay have been listed there for months. I’m on eBay everyday too and I’m watching a couple GFL’s for my daughter. I collect Sage rods. People buying these rods are collecting vintage Sages. Just telling you what I see. Good luck my friend.

Rossflyguy,

Thank you, I do appreciate your input. As I said I needed a starting point so I thought $400 was fair but I added the Best Offer in case it was high. I am certainly willing to entertain offers that are in the reasonable range. I also have bought and sold rods including a Sage LL and a couple of XP's and am totally aware that value is relative. If I sell the rod great, if I don't that is also okay and the rod can continued to stay in the closet. it really is a matter I am not using the rod.

Rossflyguy,

Thank you, I do appreciate your input. As I said I needed a starting point so I thought $400 was fair but I added the Best Offer in case it was high. I am certainly willing to entertain offers that are in the reasonable range. I also have bought and sold rods including a Sage LL and a couple of XP's and am totally aware that value is relative. If I sell the rod great, if I don't that is also okay and the rod can continued to stay in the closet. it really is a matter I am not using the rod.
    You could clean the cork on the handle and if the rod has scratches Sage would actually “clean up” the rod. Make it look brand new. I actually sent a Sage one in that was scratched up and they re-glazed the rod so it looked brand new again. Of course it costs a little money.