Thread: Stripers Are Out There

Default Stripers Are Out There

The Delta has been a muddy mess for 3+ months. I had kind of put it out of my mind but I looked on the internet last week and saw the turbidity getting into the range that might just be fishable. Windfinder told me winds would be light and conditions good for the kayak so I gave it a try this morning. Windfinder was way off which seems to happen a lot but I was able to get some fishing in before getting blown out. The water visibility was between 2 feet and 6 inches depending on where I was. Seems like I need to let it clear a bit more and hope windfinder gets his act together and gives me a more accurate forecast. Maybe next week.

Somehow with the wind and the still muddy water I was able to catch a fish which was nice because my last striper was December 28th. This morning's fish was sitting on a point next to a cut where largemouth like to sit also. It is a good ambush spot and I have caught a bunch of bass there but never a striper. I really thought it was a largemouth but it pulled way too hard for that. It grabbed the chartruse rattle clouser I tied while I could not go striper fishing for three and a half months. 8.3 pounds on the electronic scale. I had written off the whole spring Delta bass and striper season but there might be something to salvage after all. We'll see.

I threw in a couple of bird pictures I got earlier this week. The spotted towhee and the western bluebird. A couple of colorful birds.

Last edited by John H; 04-14-2023 at 12:29 PM.

Very nice! Water temps are into the low 60s and the lmb spawn should be in full swing now. Head to disappointment slough tomorrow.

Hopefully it will be Big Success Slough for you and not Disappointment Slough.

If the wind had not cranked up I would have tried for some bass this morning.

Beautiful photos. Congrats!

John,

Once again, great birds pics and a nice striper, as well. Good stuff! Thanks for posting!

Vaughn