Thread: Berryessa Boat Camp

Default Berryessa Boat Camp

We did a camp out on the shoreline at Berryessa this week. It is really beautiful up there now and the bass bite is good so it seemed like a good idea. We found a small island to camp on, the weather was nice, the crowd was light and we caught lots of fish so all was good.

There was a goose nest about 20' from my tent which I did not see until I got up in the morning and saw the goose sitting on it. We ate breakfast and packed up and the goose did not leave the nest. That was pretty cool. Later in the day when we were taking a shore break we saw two deer chase a bobcat up a tree. They kept an eye on him in the tree but he still came down and made a break for it. They came after him again and chased him up another tree. When we left he looked pretty comfortable up on his branch and ready to wait them out. When we first saw them the bobcat seemed to be lurking nearby the deer so maybe they had a fawn he was eyeing. I dont know what was going on but I never thought I would see deer chasing a bobcat up a tree. Kind of crazy.

We got some nice spots and smallies up to about 18" and a couple of crappie. The best part of the whole thing was for some reason it was free launching day at Markley Cove. Fun times fishing for spring bass.

Last edited by John H; 04-13-2023 at 09:17 AM.

John,

Another great report and pictures! Sounds like a fun adventure with some nice fish caught. Good on ya, once again!

Vaughn

Thanks, John,

I think lots of folks who, for one reason or another, can not get out there anymore are fishing vicariously through your photos and stories.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Thanks, John,

I think lots of folks who, for one reason or another, can not get out there anymore are fishing vicariously through your photos and stories.
    yeah- count me in that group!

We bought a place in Texas and I've only been there for 2 week since we closed in November, between that and work i "want" to fish, but zero time.

And there is a lake with 20# stripers in it less than hours from the house....

Thanks for the post John- those are some fat bass there!