Thread: Who was it that tied delta flies at Russo's?

Question Who was it that tied delta flies at Russo's?

I'm terrible at remembering names but there used to be a small shop on the dock at Russo's Marina. The fellow there tied beautiful flies that resembled Dan's Whistler pattern. I remember buying a black one to use as the water was really off color, and it worked great in that dirty water.

Could it have been Jay????

Later I tied a few of my own in black and they worked wherever the water was dirty. When things cleared up it was always chartruese and white.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Use to be Chuck's bait and tackle. I tied up most of his flies for years, even the whistlers
    Jay Murakoshi

I remember hearing about Chuck's Bait & Tackle on the Delta but never made it there.

It was catering to fly fishing Stripers in the delta years ago.

Amazing all the changes over the last 50 years in the fly fishing world, even just in California.

About 50 years ago I worked at a good "Bait-n-tackle shop" in West Sacramento.

We heard lots of stories about the Delta from those who fished down there.

Someone told me about fishing in the middle of Winter with bullheads in Franks Tract.

They described this large shallow lake in the Delta where they fished for Stripers.

They would take a bullhead and rig it with a special long metal double hook setup.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/must...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

They said they fished it with no weight, just tossed it over the side, and coiled up a lot of line on the floor of the boat.

They just watch the line play out as a Striper swam off with it, then set the hook at the end.

About 50 years ago I heard stories and read about fly fishing for Stripers in the Bay.

Back then I think it was pioneers like Dan Blanton, Hal Janssen, Larry Green and others from the iconic Flycasters of San Jose.

Over the years I heard thousands of stories about fishing all over California and beyond.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterHunter View Post
    Use to be Chuck's bait and tackle. I tied up most of his flies for years, even the whistlers
    I remember someone who use to tie flies for a guy that sold them to Chuck. ��

. I wonder who that was. So Tony P. how you been doing
    Send me an email when you get time. jaysflies@me.com
    Jay Murakoshi