Thread: Largies, Smallies and Spots

Default Largies, Smallies and Spots

The Berryessa bass bite has been sporadic the last three weeks but may be getting good. The bite was getting going until we got a cold rain a couple of weeks ago that cooled and muddied the water and pushed the fish off the shoreline but it has slowly warmed and cleared. The fish now seem to be back on the shoreline and on the job which is where I need them.

I have a bunch of photos today. A fly which is working and a balsa wood bobber I made. Some nice spots and smallmouth and pretty good largemouth. Also a rock wren and a western grebe I got two weeks ago when the bite was not happening. I am starting to like taking bird pictures more than fish pictures. There is a lot more variety in birds and you can get them doing their normal thing rather than in the angler's hand looking very unhappy. That is what is happening here. Hopefully you are finding fish somewhere.

John,

Great photos, both fish and birds. That is the best fishing report I have seen in months--good on ya for making it work!

Vaughn

Inspiring photos John.

Berryessa is one of the best low elevation reservoirs we have for fly fishing in Nor Cal.

My friend, Dave Hudson, has been fly fishing there for over 10 years now.

He has an 18' welded aluminum boat with an outboard jet and a bow-mounted electric motor.

He uses a very light fly rod, like 3 or 4 weight with the fastest full sinking fly lines he can find.

Dave uses very small black crystal buggers most of the time.

I think April is a top month for bass but this year it might go into May.

I guess it is time to go over there?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Now you got me pumped. Gonna have to take the kayak out there and try the bass out. I have heard reports that the bass are in the top 10-15’.