Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultralight Float Tubes

Default Ultralight Float Tubes

Anybody own or ever use the Wilderness Lite tubes? I'm planning on doing lots of hike-to Sierra lakes this summer. These things, while pricey, seem pretty cool........and VERY light weight,, which is I why I want one.

https://wildernesslitefloattubes.com...ccesories.html

Thanks for any input.

~Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    Anybody own or ever use the Wilderness Lite tubes? I'm planning on doing lots of hike-to Sierra lakes this summer. These things, while pricey, seem pretty cool........and VERY light weight,, which is I why I want one.

https://wildernesslitefloattubes.com...ccesories.html

Thanks for any input.

~Jeff
    I have one, but unfortunately have only used it a little. It works great considering its light weight. It's really nice on some higher lakes to be able to get out onto the lake. Would be easy to pack in already inflated, but I also have a very small/light rechargeable air pump
    that will fill it on the spot.

My days of hiking a float tube into remote lakes are mostly past. PM me if you're interested in buying mine. It's practically new.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    I have one, but unfortunately have only used it a little. It works great considering its light weight. It's really nice on some higher lakes to be able to get out onto the lake. Would be easy to pack in already inflated, but I also have a very small/light rechargeable air pump
    that will fill it on the spot.

My days of hiking a float tube into remote lakes are mostly past. PM me if you're interested in buying mine. It's practically new.
    Hell yes. PM sent.

this is for Bill (old timer). Do you remember the Del Canty float tube. So compact that you could fold it down to the size of a cigarette package.
    Jay Murakoshi

Good one Jay....your memory is still good.

They were round, "doughnuts", in orange and came with an orange bag, like a pillow case, to wave around and trap air to fill the tube.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The only issue I would have with the design is that you will be sitting quite low in the water even with the inflatable seat. If you want to fish dry flies and there is a chop on the water, you may be sitting so low in the water that you can't see the rising fish. This happened to me when I was float tubing Manzanita in an old-style float tube. These two guys came by in prams and were catching fish after fish using dry flies and I couldn't even see the rises. I subsequently bought a Tote-n-Flote which has a raised seat and I could easily see the risers.

Quote Originally Posted by HSano View Post
    The only issue I would have with the design is that you will be sitting quite low in the water even with the inflatable seat. If you want to fish dry flies and there is a chop on the water, you may be sitting so low in the water that you can't see the rising fish. This happened to me when I was float tubing Manzanita in an old-style float tube. These two guys came by in prams and were catching fish after fish using dry flies and I couldn't even see the rises. I subsequently bought a Tote-n-Flote which has a raised seat and I could easily see the risers.
    Yes, I was concerned about that also seeing the pictures on the website. I might get an additional inflatable seat so I sit higher. Thanks for the comment. I appreciate it.

I have had good luck with the Super Cat. It weighs 15# or so and is very packable. Has pack straps built in. Sits high on the water. I have to sell mine and am going to miss it. Like Woodman, I'm at the stage where I have to go to a bigger craft.

Nothing will ever beat the float tubes Shig made. Both tubes and fins weight in at less than 2 pounds.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I remember Shig's fantastic posts as he was creating his craft. The world, and the forum,
    lost a real treasure in Shig.
    Best to ya, Scott.

Larry S
    Sun Diego