Thread: BC or Alaska Steel

Default BC or Alaska Steel

Starting to plan a trip to BC or Alaska next year. Looking for single hand streamer or indicator fishing. Looking for a reasonably priced lodge experience. Location, time of year, lodge name and any info would be greatly appreciated.

You might want to look at Yakutat in SE Alaska. Its a spring run, river is way too small for a spey rod, you can swing or strip streamers but nymphing beads is what most do as its far more productive. The fish are impressive very large wild spring steelhead and the setting is beautiful too. Not my thing as i like to swing but really enjoyed working one season there. Tons of brown bears but not too many out yet during the SH run, however it is very cold with snow on ground. Good luck!

Both BC and AK are very expensive places to fish. No way around it. What's your actual budget? I'd recommend looking into the rivers in WA for a much cheaper quality steelhead location.

I‘m pretty familiar either costs already. Once in a life time trip. I’d like a lodge that offers a package deal with guides, lodging and food.

I have a friend that went to the Damdochax River in BC this past fall. They had excellent success with multiple hookups daily. He's a spey guy but his buddy fished a single hand rod. He told me that his buddy hooked as many as he did, primarily swinging. It's a remote, fly in lodge - definitely once in a lifetime. https://damdochax.com/

I had some friends who, maybe 20 years ago, were annually going to Kodiak Island in October for a lot of Steelhead.

This was/is not well known.............

Some years back there were 65-foot mother ships with skiffs that took anglers to the small rivers on the south coast of AK.

This did not work out too well due to problems with timing of the returns. I think it was around June?

For many decades people have RVed up to the Morris and Bulkley rivers for Fall steelhead in October.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........