Thread: Advice on Bass flies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Advice on Bass flies

Since it's gonna be a while before trout come into play, I'm going to try some bass fishing. There's a small hike-to local lake called Lake Ilsanjo in Annadel State Park in Santa Rosa I've heard has lots of willing bass in the spring time. Nothing huge, but average size is 14".

I've never done any bass fishing so I need to buy some flies. The Fly Shop seems to have good selection located here:

https://catalog.theflyshop.com/flies/bass-pike/

Anyone have any recommendations from that list? The water will probably have a couple feet of visibility.

Thanks so much.

~Jeff

This time of year small sinking bait fish patterns such as the Baby Fat Minnow, Grave Digger, Tak's Mini Minnow, or the Masked Minnow should work. Later in the season you could try small top water patterns. By the way, since you are in Santa Rosa, you should check out the Russian River Fly Fishers. We meet the 2nd Wednesday of the month at the Veterans building. Our website rrflyfisher.org will fill you in on club activities.

Quote Originally Posted by mike borba View Post
    This time of year small sinking bait fish patterns such as the Baby Fat Minnow, Grave Digger, Tak's Mini Minnow, or the Masked Minnow should work. Later in the season you could try small top water patterns. By the way, since you are in Santa Rosa, you should check out the Russian River Fly Fishers. We meet the 2nd Wednesday of the month at the Veterans building. Our website rrflyfisher.org will fill you in on club activities.
    Thanks Mike! I'm not planning on heading out until April, but that information helps a lot. I'll check out your website too.

~Jeff

My pond experience is the bass are a little spooky and small flies are effective. Ken Hanley did a presentation once about damsels and dragonflies for bass. I would try a bead head wooly bugger.

I'll second John. My most consistent fly is a take off of Polly Roseborough Casual Dress. Marabou tail, shaggy body. I use a very buggy Krakin dubbing from Fly Tyers Dungeon. It has lots of small rubber bits that squirm all over the place. Check out the Krap streamer video. Size 8 hook, 2 or 3x long, stout wire, not dry fly hook. Great over or near weed beds.

There will probably be fish on beds. Generally I fish slow sinking leaches to bed fish similar to what Mcfish referred to since they will be shallow and sight fishing. When they are on beds it’s not rocket science especially if it’s not a highly pressured lake