Thread: WTB: Sage Xi3 or Newer 10wt Saltwater Rod

Default WTB: Sage Xi3 or Newer 10wt Saltwater Rod

I'm gearing up for a Roosterfish trip to Baja California later this year, and looking for a new rod. Interested in an Xi3, Maverick, Salt, or Salt HD in 10wt.

On my last trip, I found that my Sage RPLXi 12wt is just a little too much for the size Roosters we were hooking. So I'm looking for a new rod.

Anyone have one of these 10wt rods in the closet that you'd consider parting with?

Thanks, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ridgebackpilot View Post
    I'm gearing up for a Roosterfish trip to Baja California later this year, and looking for a new rod. Interested in an Xi3, Maverick, Salt, or Salt HD in 10wt.

On my last trip, I found that my Sage RPLXi 12wt is just a little too much for the size Roosters were were hooking. So I'm looking for a new rod.

Anyone have one of these 10wt rods in the closet that you'd consider parting with?

Thanks, Mike
    Having some health issues and not real sure how they are going to affect my fishing. I have an extremely lightly used xi-3 might consider selling as I haven't really, quite yet thought about it. 406-920-3800

Default Give the Echo Prime a Look

Mike,

I was in your shoes a couple of years ago. I didn't want to plunk down a grand for the Sage Salt brand new so I cast the Maverick and the Echo Prime. The Prime was hands down a better casting rod (for me). For $175 less than the Maverick it's far superior. The 8'10" length seemed like a bit of a gimmick to me until I had it out in the boat and cast it all day. It is a lightweight cannon. Don't buy something used until you give the Prime a try. I now have it in 9, 10 and 12 weight. I've owned a number of Echo rods and always thought of them as good "for the price." The Prime is different. It's a kickass rod that happens to be a bargain. Proof is in the pudding below. If you're interested, PM me. I know a shop that can get you at least 10% below the $499 retail. Even used, you'll be hard pressed to find a better rod for $450?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rooster5.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	18905

Yes, Echo rods are designed by Tim Rajeff who is the brother of Steve Rajeff of Sage and they are both top fly rod designers.

https://echoflyfishing.com/project/prime/ $499

If you live where you fish the Prime #8 and #10 both also come in 2 piece models.

I think I will get an Echo Prime 8'10" #8 in 2 piece for here in my skiff in Florida.

Another fly rod to look at is the Redington "Predator" which is Sage's high-value, imported fly rod division.

https://farbank.com/products/redington-predator-1090-4 $349

Redington also has a higher modulus #10 weight, the CRUX

https://farbank.com/products/redington-crux-1090-4 $419

All these sub- $500 brand-name imported fly rods are a great deal and many buy them for backups.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I have a Loomis 10/11 mega in 3 piece in great shape ( 250) , By the way I also fish for roosters in Loreto for 5-6 weeks a year, I use my Sage salt HD in 9 wt most of the time

Carl Blackledge
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 03-20-2023 at 08:26 AM.

Mel, Don't sell that 9 wt till after you come back from Loreto

Carl

I caught this smaller fish last year on my 12wt but could easily have handled it on my 9wt!

Attachment 18907
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baja Roosterfish 2022.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	18906  

Two 10's are very handy to have when down in Baja - the second as a backup and lined with a different line, say one rod set up with a fast sinking head and the second with an intermediate line. I have two TiCr's that I set up this way, and the primary TiCr (decals are now nearly all worn off) has earned some serious mojo down there.

I have a new Echo Boost 10 wt., that I bought for a trip with my dad that never happened, that needs rehomed. PM me if you are interested.

The Echo Boost Blue 10wt.offers cracking value....