Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for Klamath Lake / Williamson River

Default Recommendations for Klamath Lake / Williamson River

Hey all,

I'll be in Klamath Falls in July. Any recommendations for a guide in the area for the lake or Williamson/Wood Rivers.

Thanks for the help.

For Klamath Lake I'd think Denny Rickards would be the guy. Although its not shown on his website so maybe he's not guiding on Klamath any more? I'd give him a call. He's always been very helpful when I have talked to him.

I'll pass.

Confluence Outfitters is one of the top guide groups in Nor Cal and southern Oregon.

https://www.confluenceoutfitters.com...son-river.aspx

Joe Shirshac and his wife from Sacramento use to take his trailer there every June and stay at "Walt's Cozy Camp".

About 40 years ago I use to fish the Williamson river with Joe, wading the river in town and wading up at Spring creek.

Joe use big black leeches on a floating line and in the evenings and spun and a clipped deer hair mouse.

Five-pound Rainbow trout were very common. The big ones were 15#s.

I caught a 5#er one evening on a "Buck Caddis", before the Elk Hair Caddis was invented by Al Troth.

Al Perryman use to guide the Williamson river for the "Take It Easy Ranch" some years back.

Bob Quigley use to live in Chiloquin, Oregon and sell flies there.

A Native American, Rich Henry, was the top Klamath Lake fly fishing guide a few decades ago.

Maybe 40 years ago Don Childress, a dentist in Davis and founding member of the Flyfishers of Davis "discovered" the Williamson River.

Jon Knapp of Davis has fished the area more than anyone I know with a beautiful home just upstream from Chiloquin.

The Yamsi Ranch and Lonesome Duck Ranch are both on the Williamson river and cater to fly fishers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Hey all,

I'll be in Klamath Falls in July. Any recommendations for a guide in the area for the lake or Williamson/Wood Rivers.

Thanks for the help.
    Marlin Rampy has been guiding there for many years.

I highly reccomend Brandon Worthington. He fishes more of the Klamath system than any other guide. He fishes the Williamson very often as well as some remote water that you won’t see another person on. Likely the best oarsman I’ve ever met.

Thanks everyone for the good tips. I've now got a couple of days booked with two different guides.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Riffle View Post
    Marlin Rampy has been guiding there for many years.
    Thanks for this recommendation. We had a great day with Marlon. A true professional and knows where every fish in the river is holding. I've fished with a lot of guides and Marlon is near the top.

Thanks Woodsman for the report.

We used to fish it with old Joe Shirshac in the 1970s.

Joe with his wife stayed at Walt's Coy Camp in their travel trailer for the month of June.

Al Perryman was guiding for "Take It Easy Ranch" and said Joe should have gone in July.

Don Childress, a dentist in Davis, CA. found the Williamson River for us years ago.

We only wade fished it in several limited places.

The average Rainbow trout was 5 pounds.

Back in the day when we went on a week long trip up north we first stopped in Dunsmuir.

Then we stopped in Chiloquin, Oregon to fish the Williamson River.

Then on to central Oregon to fish Crane Prairie Res, Davis Lake and Hosmer Lake.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Thanks Woodsman for the report.

Don Childress, a dentist in Davis, CA. found the Williamson River for us years ago.

I took a fly fishing class from Don Childress in 1985 or so. Main thing I remember about him was he carried around an old leather briefcase that was almost entirely wrapped in duct tape to hold it together. At the same time I took a fly tying class from John Salido whose day job was as a barber at the UC Davis student union. Man that guy could trim spun deer hair.

Never throw out anything that can still be used.